• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lindows Os

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retarded130

Registered
Ok I know that lindows recently sent out mayby about a thousand preview's of it's new os, due out later this year.

I wanted to try it before just going out and possibly wasting money on it,
does any one know where I can find a copy of the preview to see it I want to give it a try or not?

I wouldn't bother with Lindows, personally. You are imho better off with mainstream Linux distros - I know that a lot of people have had success with WINE.

There is another point as well - if Windows Apps will work in Linux, why develop for Linux? This could cause a big problem as Linux grows.

plus i think lindows is getting a lot of their emulation technology from wine as it is. i agree with penguin. i'd rather dual-boot regardless, so i can have what i want in either os without a lot of hassle.

jeff

The CEO of Lindows says that its based off of wine, and they are focussing on getting a handful of heavy-hitter apps working like MS Office and IE. It will by no means be perfect when it comes to running Windows apps.

I think what Lindows.com is trying to do has merit.
Untill a few years Back I didn't know anything about what an os or a kernel is, and I thought that windows was all thier was.
The majority of people today I think only know windows and lindows is trying to make another os avaliable to people is a good move.
If lindows becomes popular when it starts selling then mayby people will become interested in other alternative OS's.
That would be a great thing because then major companies would have a reason to spend millions of developing new and radical software.
So, rather then creating thier own OS from scratch lindows based it off linux, which I know must be giving thier programming staff a lot of headache's when it comes to windows emulation, but if they ever get it to work well, then I would gladly buy a copy.

If Lindows can pull off all of Microsoft's and Linux work within 2 years of works it will be nothing short of a miracle or they have the best programmers in the world

expect lots of bugs, and don't the final version till at least 2004 pending the Microsoft Lawsuit against them

Lindows isn't some new OS that runs Linux and Windows programs. Its just another Linux distro, with a tweaked and more integrated Wine.

Considered starting a debate, but better off in the debates forum - 'Should Linux try to be like Windows'

Back