• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade my PC, What do I need to make it better for gaming and faster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dom Bruv

Registered
Can anyone help me with what stuff i need to buy to make my pc better?
I'm from the UK and I don't have much money at all so cheapest as possible choices would be great :)

Specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 560 69 °C
Callisto 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-LE-V2 (AM3) 73 °C
Graphics
ACER S271HL (1360x768@60Hz)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 47 °C
Hard Drives
466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAKS-00YGA SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0001
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
VIA High Definition Audio

Thanks guys! :D

p.s wasn't sure where to post this :\

Last edited:
Overclock the CPU and get a better videocard.

How much are you willing to spend? For what games and what resolution is the monitor you are playing games on?

Welcome!

Overclock the CPU and get a better videocard.

How much are you willing to spend? For what games and what resolution is the monitor you are playing games on?

Welcome!

When I overclock it freezes, even when i do it the littlest bit.

around £60-80

I have 2 monitors
1360x700 for main and other one goes to 1900xsomething

The biggest boost in most games is going to be a new graphics card. Something like a 6870 or 7850 on the amd side, or a 560 or 660 on the nvidia side.

The problem with that is we don't know if your power supply will support that or if you will have to buy a new one. And its not a good sign that you can't overclock at all. If your computer was made with quality parts there should be some room for overclocking even with cheap stock coolers.

The biggest boost in most games is going to be a new graphics card. Something like a 6870 or 7850 on the amd side, or a 560 or 660 on the nvidia side.

The problem with that is we don't know if your power supply will support that or if you will have to buy a new one. And its not a good sign that you can't overclock at all. If your computer was made with quality parts there should be some room for overclocking even with cheap stock coolers.

Alright so how do i find out how much power supply i have? And i tried overclocking last night and its starting to work i think maybe COs last time i tried it was brand new l, which was like years ago aha.

Cheers!

So no brand name? Hmm not a good sign of it being of any quality.

Did it come with the case?

6670 is likely as good or worse than your current card. Gots to bring some money to the table my friend...As mentioned earlier, 7770 or 650ti or bust IMO.

6670 is likely as good or worse than your current card. Gots to bring some money to the table my friend...As mentioned earlier, 7770 or 650ti or bust IMO.

Gonna have to save up then, thanks I'll look into those :)

Would those graphics cards fit straight in my PC or would i need a better processor or power unit?

A better processor would help, but with a limited budget you will be able to wait on that, a better psu would really help. Even something like a corsair 430 that you can get for 40 or so plus a mail in rebate.

Alright thanks for the info :)

Do you think this would do the same job?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARTIC-750...=100010&prg=7906&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=271238146621&

I wouldn't recommend it personally. I've never heard of that brand and know nothing about them or what kind of quality level they are at. Looking it up online I couldn't find any information about the company or that model, I just found a link to that page you linked.

I'd recommend you go with a good name brand like Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master (maybe, they do make some lower-end ones that are complete rubbish though), Cougar (I've seen some good reviews of their units), OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Super Flower. There are other good ones out there, these are just all of the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Really if you want to make sure you get a good unit I'd start reading reviews of power supplies you might be interested in (make sure it is the exact same model in the review as the one you are wanting to buy).

Personally, when I am looking to buy a power supply I always look them up on jonnyGuru. I have bought most of my PSU's based upon reviews I have read at their site, and they have never steered me wrong yet.

For a more definitive answer though, someone needs to get Bobnova in here.

Its a roughly 30$ 750w psu. For that price and wattage, you have 2 possibilities. Either its a heck of a deal or its a terrible psu. Given the lack of reviews and the fact that it is readily available at that price I am leaning towards it being a terrible psu.

This a better upgrade?

Conair 430X

AMD (Richland) A6-6400K 3.90GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 Dual-Core Unlocked Processor @ 52.79GBP

MSI 970A-G46 AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express ATX Motherboard @ 62.93GBP

500GB Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive - Clean Pull @ 26.99GBP

That chip is an apu that goes in socket fm2 motherboards. That motherboard is socket am3+ and will not work with that chip. For an am3+ board you would want to find an fx4300, or if you want to use the integrated graphics in the Richland apu then you need to pick out a socket fm2 motherboard.

Edit: have you tried running the core unlocker on that chip to see if it will unlock to a 3 or 4 core? Asus website says that board supports the core unlocking feature though I don't know where it would be found in bios. I still think you would be better off with a psu and vid card than cpu and motherboard, even more so if that chip unlocks to an x3 or x4.

Last edited:
Back