• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lowest price on opteron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ochungry said:
but PM me for the source because I am afraid there are those will buy them to creat shortage and turn around and sellem to you w/ hefty profit

You have simply got to be kidding.

ochungry said:
no I am not kidding, maybe just paranoid.
send me one those you're having, maybe I calm down :burn:

I have two Opterons...one boxed 146 from Monarch that I bought because the stepping they were shipping was known to clock well. I knowingly paid $201, plus shipping...again, because I was certain of the stepping.

The second, a 144 was purchased in our Classifieds from Zork, for $155. Again, a known stepping.

In my mind while I could have perhaps gotten an Opteron cheaper by waiting, I chose the known stepping over the possibility of savings. My call, others might choose to do differently.

I would like to go back to this theory of resellers going around and buying up all the available Opterons.

For starters you have maintained that there is no actual shortage, just a manipulation of supplies and an underlying hoax/rumor to falsely create the demand. On the other hand you are claiming these same resellers are going around buying up all of the available retail stock in order to jack up the prices. There are several holes in those assumptions that I would like to comment on.

First problem is that if there is no termination of production and hence no shortage as you claim, then there is no way that the resellers going around buying up inventory could corner the market and jack the prices because the resellers that just sold them their inventory would turn around and restock from their distributors, hence the market would not be cornered and the jacking up of prices would be limited.

Secondly, lets go back to the resellers buying up the inventory of the other vendors...they have now purchased inventory at retail prices, not wholesale prices so if they sell an Opty 144 for $200, but paid $145 for the shipped unit, plus the cost to hold that inventory (interest on bank loans or lost earning on banked funds...either way there is a cost of holding stock for sale that is above and beyond the cost of purchasing the inventory), then their profit might be $55 on a unit, before holding costs.

If on the other hand, if they purchase it for the $110 price that you claim is AMD's cost to the resellers (based on what was posted on the other thread...I have not verified this nor intend to...it is close enough for the discussion) and sell it for the $155 that is listed by TankGuys (one of those that you have alluded to of being part of this conspiracy), then their profit per unit is $45, before holding costs. That $10 per unit differential is hardly in the range that would lead most business to jump through hoops and occupy their time and enery, at the expense of the rest of their operations, searching for all available inventory, especially...since based on your opinion that there is no shortage...the other resellers would simply restock and these guys would be left holding large quantities of unsold cpus.

I just don't see sufficient motivation ($$$) for any reseller to go out and do this. Again, just my opinion, but one based on 30 years of accounting and banking experience.

origional post by ochungry
but PM me for the source because I am afraid there are those will buy them to creat shortage and turn around and sellem to you w/ hefty profit

ROFL you're insane

what impression would you conclude?
My persistence caused some stores lower their prices by ~ $8 since yesterday.
I know there are those who are irritated by it... ... well rather leave it alone. But I feel I have at least accomplished a little awareness and some saved $8, my Xmas present to them.

Can't let it go without a response...I conclude that you give yourself way too much credit if you believe that you and your threads are the reason that Opteron prices have dropped at some locations.

I offer the alternative reasoning.

All along it has been published that while the belief was that AMD was, in the near future, going to stop making S939 available to the retail market, the immediate shortage which began to surface in late November/early December was a supply and demand thing and most sites at that time where showing ETAs on new stock to be sometime around mid to late December....guess what the calendar is currently showing?

The current reduction in prices are due to the influx of new stock all across the web...all these places that you have now found and are hording, as well as some that you are probably not aware of. The reason they no longer have any left is simple...guys like you, Strida and others have bought them and they probably didn't get a ton of them to begin with. Most of these are smaller operations without the budget/resources of a Newegg, Monarch or a ZipZoomFly. They have no interest (or capabilities to do so) in holding these cpus, trying to get top dollar...they are content to sell them, hoping that in the process you'll pick up a few more items, plus pass along their name to a few of your friends.

This is just business as usual and you are making way too much out of it.

No more from me...you conclude as you wish and others will conclude as they wish.

ochungry said:
I say it again. I am not going to respond to idiots, and lets discuss some cpu overclocking.
<preach mode>

ochungry i think you should watch yourself. you bring up the question of a personal attack, yet IMO that is just what you've just done in your last post. i'm not sure if that was directed at Calidan or castroman but calling a person an idiot is an attack to their intelligence, just as it was uncalled for castroman to call you insane in his post.

i initially came to ocforums.com because i needed some help with picking out some ram and there were plenty of very intelligent people that directed me in the right direction and provided me plenty of help. i have stayed because for the most part everyone here treats everyone else very civil, it's a nice place... but i personally have not seen that in the past few threads you've created about these opteron prices.

just some friendly advice, don't think that i'm getting all preachy or something, maybe it's because i haven't had my coffee yet, but i don't want to see people get banned. :thup:

</preach mode>

Cmon now guys, don't let this thread deteriorate. If you have a place to buy in-stock cheap opterons, then post it. Otherwise, be civil and polite to fellow overclockers in your off-topic tangents.

Let me clarify, Reefa_Madness and benbaked have discussed their points in a civil manner, as has ochungry (well indirect idiots remarks may be uncalled for) in this thread. Others seem to be hurling personal insults, no matter how insane you believe ochungrys theories to be (you can insult those), any insults against the person are against the rules of this forum. Remember attack the ideas, NOT the person.

It doesn't seem to be posted in this thread so:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProducts.hmx?PID=CPU-TBIRD&updepts=CPU&DNAME=Processors+-+CPU

Mwave still has all opterons in stock, and at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
good luck with your overclock on your opteron ochungry, i purchased my 144 last month from mwave and all in all i was very satisified with the purchase. i got 2.7ghz on mine and it flies. some of the newer steppings (cacje) seem to have trouble hitting 3ghz from what i was reading but should still be capable of 2.7-2.8 which IMO is very fast.

pcuniverse has the retail 144 for $144, currently shows as having 29 in stock...link

also sparco.com has the retail 144 for $135, currently shows as having 29 in stock (probably the same distributor as above)...link

monarch says quantity limited on the opt 170 for $365, doesn't seem too bad, link

Was trying to find some places with it still in stock; a friend was asking for a link. And now I have like three lol. Thanks guys. :)

The information you are posting is good info and should benefit everyone looking for a processor.

And done with the right attitude...to help your fellow members.

Edit:

Pssst...I clearly spoke too soon.

Last edited:
Back