• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest-86 results...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Banyan

Ok, let me give you mem guys a little background on the problems I was experiencing with my gf's machine.

Specs:

Abit KG7-R
XP1800
512MB of generic cheap *** PC2100 (you get what you pay for ;) )
WinXP Pro SP1

Anyways, after she was having some random problems on an OLD installation of WinME I attempted a clean install of WinXP... however not all files would copy during setup and therefore it would run like complete crap, if at all. So after yet another format and multiple tries I decide to try and throw Win2k on there - same thing happens. Now, I know it's not my media nor the drives in her machine because I had used them all in another machine etc. So, next I try Win98SE... same thing again. Then WinME, and again same thing. So, I go back to WinXP and finally get it to install and update it as usual... then I start to install chipset drivers etc... after that I go to start installing Systemworks and Internet Security plus all the other utilities she'll need.

So here's what happens; Any time I try to install a program, no matter what it is, it fails to install. THere is always an error. No games, no Norton AV, no nothing. Also, there are random crashes and error galor, and I don't recall any error messages atm aside from *Memory Management* errors. So today I have been running Memtest-86 for at least 6 hours, and atm there has been 275,396 errors... Forgive my complete stupidity, this ram is total, complete crap right? Just need to hear what I already know...

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Lets just say...that is the most errors I have ever seen...and I thought my generic POS ram was junk when it had a little over 150,000 errors...

Tebore said:
You could try relaxing the timings. I have a stick of ram that would give 100,000 errors if used at CL2 instead of 3.

i will try that, but i think maybe i'll just get her a stick or two of crucial 2100... after all, it's only $29 shipped for 256megs @ newegg ;). i would like to get some xms but money is a bit tight atm.

Banyan said:

i will try that, but i think maybe i'll just get her a stick or two of crucial 2100... after all, it's only $29 shipped for 256megs @ newegg ;). i would like to get some xms but money is a bit tight atm.

Are you silly or something? Get yourself some Corsair 3500s and give her some of your old crappy ram. =)

^^^^^^^^^

Wow, you quote him saying he'd like to get some XMS, but doesn't have enough money. Then you call him silly and tell him to get XMS. :rolleyes:

Back