• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mic for recording singing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the best mic would be for recording voice on my audigy? I'm on scholarship at college to sing, and I'm needing to send a couple songs in on CD.

I tried with my cheapo mic i use to talk in online games, obviously that didnt work very well :)

I can't find what kind of connector it has on the Shure website, but I think I have used those mics before. If I remember correctly, its a 5 pin audio plug, so you would need an external box for your Audigy, or getting a receiver and then running digital or analog in to your comp.

hm. looks similar to the mics they use at the college! how would i go about hooking that beast up to my computer? i don't really have a *huge* problem dropping 100 bucks on that, but if hooking it up to my system is going to cost another 100 then we might have a problem...

You'll probably need to also buy a microphone preamplifier, but that would depend on what mic you buy.

Last edited:
well.. as far as the mixer goes thats about as cheap as they come. But if you wanted to save a few more $ you could try for a cheaper mic, just remember that sound quality is going to go down with price. But for what your going to be doing with it Im sure a $50-$70 mic would work just fine.

Heres a mic that seems decent, pretty much just a lower end version of the sm58 mentioned previosly in the thread.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...9/g=rec/s=mics/search/detail/base_pid/270105/

good deal then, i think i'll save some cash and get that lower-end mic. as far as that mixer goes, will that come with the cables nessecary to connect the mic to it, and then to the computer? thanks guys you've been alot of help!!

stratcatprowlin said:
I dont know if it will but the cable will be pretty cheap anyway.
I would say less than $20.

again.. i'm totally clueless with all of this. what cable would i need?

I dont know exactly. Goto your local mucic store Like SAM ASH or Guitar center.
They have every cable you could ever need.

Edit:Yes,I removed the comment on your avatar!This could be a G rated forum.

well i would have to order everything online, as i dont have any music stores around here like that.

To hook the mic up to the mixer you would need an xlr cable like this -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3631835/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/338001/

And then to hook the mixer up to your computer you would a mini y cable like this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3631835/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/333053/

the red and white sides of the cable would plug into the main out on the mixer and then you would hook up the small headphone type 1/8 " plug into the line in on your computer

That should be pretty much all you would need

Ok if you have the money, you should get the mixer (it would probably get you the best sound, but it isnt absolutely necessary, someone correct if i'm wrong). Or you could just buy the mic, cable and adapter, and use the mic boost.(which should be an option in the configuration software only needed if it isnt loud enough) And it should record fine, then just tweak the recording with a wave editor if needed. (like the one that comes with nero)

If you have $~130 Best Option

Get the

Shure SM48 $69.99

Mixer (with mic amp and eq built in $50)

Mic Cable 20 foot (Sale $2.99!)

Cable for "main out" to "line in" on card $4.99-5.99

I think that is it for that setup.

Or for ~$85

Shure SM48 $69.99

Mic Cable(different than above!) Option 4=15' $12.99

Mono 1/4" to Mono Mini(1/8') adapter to hook main out cable into soundcard $1.99

This setup should work, you should just have to turn up the mic boost in your software settings for the card, if I am wrong someone let me know, but I think I got it right. You will have to use nero wave editor to clone(copy) the channel recorded(right or left) so you have both, otherwise sound will only come out of one speaker. I really suggest the other option as I know for sure everything should go fine with it and you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited:
Back