• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Strategic Commander

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm intriuged.....

I'm wondering how the response is for more twitch FPS games (CS/Apex/BF/COD/Fortnite/PUBG/The Finals/etc.). That appartus looks a bit big or clunky for those type of games. Like a lot of 'throw' to get the response for movement (I'm assuming movement is sliding that thing in a direction).

I'm intriuged.....

I'm wondering how the response is for more twitch FPS games (CS/Apex/BF/COD/Fortnite/PUBG/The Finals/etc.). That appartus looks a bit big or clunky for those type of games. Like a lot of 'throw' to get the response for movement (I'm assuming movement is sliding that thing in a direction).
The movement can be fully proportional AKA analogue or digital (map to keys). Proportional depends on the game and if they allow you to alter the sensitivity. So in The Last Of Us a little bit of deflection allows you to creep us on enemies tap a key to grab them and then another key to break their neck ala Metal Gear Solid/Deus Ex (Warren Spector original). I use button as a sprint modifier. Some games go further and let you configure a dead-zone. It's also X, Y & Z; with Z axis used to look around corners.

If you map keyboard then their is walk modifier key mapping and that lets you set the zone (range) of walk modifier in the Strategic Engine software. Strategic Engine will also let you control the dead-zone and the Windows key repeat rate and repeat interval will let you set the sensitivity. You can also key macros, so if say certain keys needs to held down whilst you tap a key combo etc that also works. so X,Y,Z plus 27 button to be mapped. It's also great if you're into VR...

HOTASS USE
One of the Elite Dangerous commanders (players) developed Strategic Commander software that uses the Strategic Engine driver to get the analogue X, Y & Z data coupled with VJoy to give a virtual joystick to act as throttle part in HOTASS system in games like ED, MS FlightSim & Star Citizen.

StratCommander.JPG
Vjoy sees the three button ringed above as separate joystick button. Joystick Gremlin software lets you put them back to 3 modifier buttons for the six button on top to give the 24 joystick buttons. The two black next to three and six cannot be modified by the modifier keys ringed in blue. The rec button would let you set a keyboard mapping on the fly to one of the buttons but that is not supported anymore and I use it as a pause button.

Joystick Gremlin is only really required for HOTASS use where you need a large number of keys and proportional control. I use it with a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick and combine both into vJoy joystick with two x,y,z axis, a slider, one 4 way hat and 39 buttons; really enough for any flight/space sim...

STEAM USE
With Steam I just use Strategic Commander & vJoy only and map the Strategic Commander proportional X & Y axis to the left thumb joystick on the game controller, I use button 1 and 2 as left thumb L1 and L2 triggers and two of the three modifiers as R1 and R2 thumb triggers and use the black buttons next to button 3 and 6 as the thumb joystick buttons on the controller coupled with G502 Hero mouse. That is how I'm using it in The Last Of Us. In Cyberpunk 2077 I also have my Sony Dual Shock 4 plugged into use when I'm in a vehicle. The two don't conflict and work seamlessly one for FPS character mode the other vehicle. If you're into GTA i suppose that would be the way you use it in that...

Strategic Commander Software by CMDR Miko

Strategic Engine by Bodyphatt/Philip Merwarth

It's a quality, flexible piece of kit...

Last edited:
The movement can be fully proportional AKA analogue or digital (map to keys). Proportional depends on the game and if they allow you to alter the sensitivity. So in The Last Of Us a little bit of deflection allows you to creep us on enemies tap a key to grab them and then another key to break their neck ala Metal Gear Solid/Deus Ex (Warren Spector original). I use button as a sprint modifier. Some games go further and let you configure a dead-zone. It's also X, Y & Z; with Z axis used to look around corners.

If you map keyboard then their is walk modifier key mapping and that lets you set the zone (range) of walk modifier in the Strategic Engine software. Strategic Engine will also let you control the dead-zone and the Windows key repeat rate and repeat interval will let you set the sensitivity. You can also key macros, so if say certain keys needs to held down whilst you tap a key combo etc that also works. so X,Y,Z plus 27 button to be mapped. It's also great if you're into VR...

HOTASS USE
One of the Elite Dangerous commanders (players) developed Strategic Commander software that uses the Strategic Engine driver to get the analogue X, Y & Z data coupled with VJoy to give a virtual joystick to act as throttle part in HOTASS system in games like ED, MS FlightSim & Star Citizen.

View attachment 365208
Vjoy sees the three button ringed above as separate joystick button. Joystick Gremlin software lets you put them back to 3 modifier buttons for the six button on top to give the 24 joystick buttons. The two black next to three and six cannot be modified by the modifier keys ringed in blue. The rec button would let you set a keyboard mapping on the fly to one of the buttons but that is not supported anymore and I use it as a pause button.

Joystick Gremlin is only really required for HOTASS use where you need a large number of keys and proportional control. I use it with a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick and combine both into vJoy joystick with two x,y,z axis, a slider, one 4 way hat and 39 buttons; really enough for any flight/space sim...

STEAM USE
With Steam I just use Strategic Commander & vJoy only and map the Strategic Commander proportional X & Y axis to the left thumb joystick on the game controller, I use button 1 and 2 as left thumb L1 and L2 triggers and two of the three modifiers as R1 and R2 thumb triggers and use the black buttons next to button 3 and 6 as the thumb joystick buttons on the controller coupled with G502 Hero mouse. That is how I'm using it in The Last Of Us. In Cyberpunk 2077 I also have my Sony Dual Shock 4 plugged into use when I'm in a vehicle. The two don't conflict and work seamlessly one for FPS character mode the other vehicle. If you're into GTA i suppose that would be the way you use it in that...

Strategic Commander Software by CMDR Miko

Strategic Engine by Bodyphatt/Philip Merwarth

It's a quality, flexible piece of kit...
The Strategic Commander software by CMDR Miko doesn't seem to work with Windows 10, unfortunately. Do you have working axes or do they just show up as buttons?

I recently picked up one of these for cheap and really want to make it into my left stick.

Hi,

I'm using it currently on Win 11 Pro Steam Red Dead & TLofU 1. I'm using Strategic Engine and Strategic Commander Axis. In Steam I have mapped Strategic Commander to left gamepad joystick in steam controller setup and the buttons show as 12 buttons no modifier buttons. I use mouse look. NB you have to Strategic Engine installed but not running - there is no tray icon. I have Strategic Engine set to run as administrator and Win XP SP3 in Compatibility mode in properties, Compatibility mode tab. I have Strategic Commander Axis set to run as Administrator. I check in vJoy monitor and Win 11 Game Controller setup and everything worked XYZ as proportional input. This is bit is key as thios shows at the OS level the VJOY DEVICE is working as a proportional controller

STEP
Launch Strategic Commander Axis v0.8a
I usually test this by clicking the 'Lights' checkbox (bottom left) and the Strat Cmdr should light up
Then open Steam
Steam->Settings->Controller settings - VJOY DEVICE should be there
Enable Steam Input for generic controllers is enabled
Then go to Calibration and Advanced settings in the Steam Controller setup screen from memory I setup the Strat Cmdr axis controls as left gampad joystic and mapped the buttons obviously right joypad was left un-mapped see this I'll try to dig out the tutorial I followed

Now in Steam right click game to bring up properties and enable steam input

Hey thanks so much for the reply, I just can't get the Strategic Commander Axis Support software (CMDR Miko) to open at all. Opening as Admin + a wide range of compatibility settings didn't do anything. Strategic Engine, vJoy, HidHide, Joystick Gremlin etc all run fine, but I can't get Miko's software open and I can't get vJoy/Joystick Gremlin to recognize analog inputs from the Strategic Commander, so it's just showing up in vJoy as a keyboard and the axes as WASD keys (digital).

I'll keep at it and I appreciate you sharing your settings with me. I think this will make an ideal left stick for ED in VR, but so far I haven't been able to get Windows 10 to recognize the analog inputs. There are some github instructions for building a vjoy feeder that will recognize the analog inputs, but I can't figure out my way around them https://github.com/ComicSansMS/libstratcom?utm_source=pocket_shared. I'll keep at it.

Last edited:
Do you have the Strategic Engine software installed? Specifically it (CMDR Miko's software) uses that driver.

StrategicEngine.jpg

In a sense the Strategic Engine driver allows CMDR MIko's software to interface with the Strat Cmdr.

I used it on Win10 Pro I only upgraded to 11 for the HDR calibrator, It kinda adds a ray-traced effect on the graphics, lighting looks more real but that's a different topic...

I have Strategic Engine installed and it works just fine, even registers the movement of the axes. I have tried CMDR Miko's software with Strategic Engine on and off and it fails to boot every time, unfortunately. I wonder if it is possible that Strategic Engine is somehow failing to activate the driver for CMDR Miko's software?

Back