• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 4090 manufacturing flaw was discovered the hard way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

MSI 4090 came DOA (dead on arrival) inside the pre-built system from unknown company.
The damage this 4090 suffered, rendering it "Beyond Repair" was nothing compared to the factory defect that was revealed after lifting the core. When the core was lifted, a good number of "GRAY" contact pads were discovered. "GRAY" pads are simply contact pads that were covered with an oxide layer due to poor manufacturing process and quality control at the factory. The oxide layer prevents for a solder ball to stick to the surface, making connection very poor, none existent or weak or temporary at best.

You wonder if that's rampant or........ haven't heard any horror stories about an extraordinary number of RMAs.....yet.

In fairness, how many GPUs get their core removed when they go for repair in general? It might become a big problem for MSI in time if it happened to more than one batch, but so far it's just an interesting video, let's hope it stays that way 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dam. I can only imagine the number of those DOA cards were made and are still out there undiscovered. That tally is gonna be high.

I won't be holding my breath for a significant problem. How long have these cards been out? Maybe it's a more recent 'batch' issue, or maybe it isn't (or maybe it's not a batch issue at all).

knock on wood, I'm hoping mine survives. After seeing this, I wouldn't be surprised if I have issues the first time I remove my water block and disrupt the pressure distribution.....

Back