• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Car PC (divx/mp3/navi/etc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow that is just awesome. and i looove the car. what model is it exactly. my friend has a 323ci, ill try and convince him to do that :p

Simply amazing. Thats the most elegant car-puter design i've ever seen. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the screen cost? Also, how did you hook the sound up to your car's system? Did you have to get a new head unit, or was there an open aux-input in the stock head unit? How is the sound quality in the car?

Well I think this is the software that he used on the carputer:

Link

It's free, but they do accept donations :). And as for what OS'....i'm not sure what they use lol but it did work on WXP :)

BTW, nice job on the carputer. Its really sleek and looks wonderful. Good job!

Brian

Very nice.. same thing I had in mind some time ago but funds were to low!! Care if I ask how much you have in the system and programs?

cheers
Charlie

Thank you everyone for your kind words!

reyna12 said:
Nice car and nice mod to go with it, not sure why the case itself was painted purple, if at all, something like black/silver would go with the car itself, very nice car aswell btw.

lol
It is not purple. If you read the website, i messed up cutting up the silver case that I bought. So I went back to Ikea to buy a new one, and all they had left was blue :(
I will be sanding it down soon though and getting it chromed or polished silver.

Borgy said:
Very Cool
can you also list the Software your using ?
I guess your OS is win2000 ?
Iv been thinking of making a media PC for some time
Just not found the software thats easy to use
but this looks prity simeple to use ?
22.jpg

link in english ? how much was it ?
thanx
Borgy
My OS is win2k pro yes. That interface in that picture is MediaCar. It is for free to download as bubba gump said. By now I have already made my own interface designs and it no longer looks like that :burn:
I don't think that the creator has an all-english version, but the program its self is in english, you can download it HERE

Sir Barton said:
dude.....that is freaking kickass! how much money do you have into it total? my truck needs one of these. have you thought about using a wireless network as a means of transfering media to and from your home system? that would make it even more kick ***.
I have a little over 1000$ in it... which is not alot at all, considering that navigation systems from alpine or pioneer are over 2000$ just for the controllers.
I DO have an Orinoco Gold Classic PCMCIA>PCI card in there with a 14.4dBi high gain antenna, so I can pickup signals from verrryyy far away :cool: I didn't have it at the time where I took the pics.

Xenocide said:
wow that is just awesome. and i looove the car. what model is it exactly. my friend has a 323ci, ill try and convince him to do that :p
thanks! it's a 2003 325i 4door sedan.

R0CK3TM4NN said:
Simply amazing. Thats the most elegant car-puter design i've ever seen. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the screen cost? Also, how did you hook the sound up to your car's system? Did you have to get a new head unit, or was there an open aux-input in the stock head unit? How is the sound quality in the car?
Thanks! The screen was pretty cheap; I got it HERE for 340$. Comes with touchscreen module built in, and allllll kinds of goodies. Even though I have a new headunit waiting to be installed, right now the system is running of AUX input that comes with all the 2003 models of my car. The sound quality is excellent... sounds like a home theatre when I play movies on it :cool:

64Thunderbolt said:
Very nice.. same thing I had in mind some time ago but funds were to low!! Care if I ask how much you have in the system and programs?

cheers
Charlie
Thanks again. The system was slightly over 1000$ including everything. The main program was free; the only program that costed money was Destinator which is my GPS system.

Thanks for your nice responses everyone, let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
That is a nice setup. I like it. Good Job.
Use a wireless USB nic and linkup at home for new music etc.

Yeah I have an Orinoco Gold Classic PCMCIA>PCI card in there with a 14.4dBi high gain antenna... super far range ;)

UPDATE: My OBD system is pretty much complete. Should be installed soon and I will take pics :)

Ah hem... thread revival :) It just so happens that I have purchased almost the EXACT equipment you have here. I have been reading up at Carmp3.com too - then I stumbled onto your thread. I would like to know if your using ANY kind of mouse/keyboard setup or do you disable them in BIOS and just use the monitor. Does the monitor work with XP (I mean can you select the start button by touching it on the monitor to launch all your proggy's or what?). Thanks for the response, even though it's been quite some time since you originally posted up.

Timmybighands said:
Ah hem... thread revival :) It just so happens that I have purchased almost the EXACT equipment you have here. I have been reading up at Carmp3.com too - then I stumbled onto your thread. I would like to know if your using ANY kind of mouse/keyboard setup or do you disable them in BIOS and just use the monitor. Does the monitor work with XP (I mean can you select the start button by touching it on the monitor to launch all your proggy's or what?). Thanks for the response, even though it's been quite some time since you originally posted up.

You mean Mp3car.com :)
I have a mini keyboard... but I don't use it unless I am using internet or something. And yes my monitor is 100% compatible with windows/linux.

yes, I meant mp3car.com, sorry. I wanted to mount mine in the trunk of my 325i, but where can I get a VGA cable that long? I plan on using the on-screen keyboard so it's nice and clean with no crap sitting around.

I also thought of getting a non-touch screen and a USB touchpad and mounting that flush with my center consol near the e-brake... so many ideas, and your write-up helped me out... thanks.

1 question: did you connect audio out to your car speakers? if so how?

how would you get your speakers to work with your center console radio/stereo/cd(would it have an aux option or would you need to replace it with one that is carpc compatible if there is such a thing)

If you read his previous posts, he connected to the AUX port that comes with 2003 models of his car, therefore, it is not needed to do anything with the current stereo console.

Nice project.
How do you keep the hard drive from being destroyd by too much vibration. And when you turn off the engine, the computer goes on standby, how.
Thanks

Back