• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first OC and post! Question though!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gut27

First off, hello everyone. I have browsed the forums and searched for the OC guides but still figuring everything out.

In any case, before I start. I'll give the specs of my comp.

780i XFX Mobo
EVGA GTX 275
Intel Q9400 OC'd at 3.2:attn:
Frio Cooler
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W

So i recently got the FRIO cooler which is fantastic and finally started to OC my computer.

I started with a moderate increase to 3.0 GHZ and ran Prime, checked my temps etc etc. So far, I have left my voltages alone and not touched any of the voltages.

This morning, I increased my OC to 3.2 GHZ, am currently running prime and do not see any issues. My temps are fine too, at this current moment all four cores are between 49*-51* C, so temp wise I'm doing fine.

CPU VCore @ 1.28v current value and max at 1.32v
DRAM-1.82 v
Vin1 and Win2 @ 1.50 v

One thing I wasn't sure about in the BIOS was if I should leave the setting so that as I increase the CPU Frequency, the memory FSB increases too. I wasn't sure if this ratio should be locked and automatically done or if I were to manually input the setting.

I have my voltages all the same, I have the CPU OC'D too 3.2 and the memory still at 800 Mhz, I never changed it to a higher setting, not sure what to do here.

I did however, put the correct timing into the BIOS as it wasn't 4-4-4-12.

So basically my question is, what should I do with the memory? Do I OC it manually or let the BIOS increase the MEM with the locked ratio. And exactly what should I change so I get the most use from everything.

Thanks all,

-Gut

I also read...HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

UM.......

Ok, so I was working on my computer just now, using one of my CAM softwares, i'm en Engineer and work with CNC equipment.

Anyway, i was just looking at CPUID Monitor and this is what it just said!!!!!!

Under Temp:
CPU- 417 F!!!
Mainboard-something like 80's F

My CPU on all four cores was under 50C, are they talking about the chipset on the XFX 780i????

I shut my comp down, rebooted and the temp is normal again. My computer did nothing, no sign of error or shut down or anything. I just that the temp was over 400 F.

it happened again! I put the computer to sleep and when waking it up, the temps were once again in the 400's! What the :comp: is going on?

1. Welcome!!!!! :)

2. If you are overclocking, stop putting it to sleep/hibernate!
3. ...for temps, please use Realtemp or Core temp for Intel.
4. As far as the memory. Keep it at 1:1 ratio for the moment... One thing at a time!!!

1. Hi and thank you!

2. Now that I OC'd, I can never sleep the comp? Ever?

3. Will DL, thank you!

4. Ok, i'll leave it at the 800 Mhz.

-Gut

Oh no, I already disabled a few of those features within the BIOS days ago when I oc'd to a light 3.0 Ghz.

But when I leave my house or go into my shop, I put the comp to sleep. So far, twice today I saw temps in the 400's.

Back