• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

broach

I'm relatively new to the whole overclocking process, I've got a pretty nice build that I did while back but never messed around with the settings. I've been having some bios issue with my motherboard but got it worked out so that I could just OC by increasing the multiplier rather than the base speed not sure if makes a huge difference. When I enable the settings to increase the base speed my mobo stops detecting my sata drives.

Well anyways I'm gonna post some results of what I have so far. The temps were while running Wprime, prime 95 gets a touch higher seen the highest core hit 70. I'm not to sure how good or bad this at first I would get crashes but turned the voltage from auto to 1.4v Everything seems to be working now. I just put in the corsair H110. If anyone has any advice or tips they would like to impart I would like to learn more about this whole process. Thanks (edit: it's OC'd to 4.67GHz just incase you missed it in the img)
Current Build
Motherboard: Rampage III Black Edition x58
Processor: i7 990x Corsair H110 Heatsink
Memory: Corsair Vengence 12/24GB 1600freq
Video Card: EVGA GTX 780 SC
Hard Drive:Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, 3TB Seagate HDD 7200
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200
Operating System: Windows 8 pro 64bit
p8IVimb.png

mDfQwcH.png

Last edited:
As long as the temps remain under 70 under max load and for a long period of time, I believe you are doing a great overclock. If you switch to 1.4 without testing lower voltages, it wouldn't hurt go for the lowest possible. This means, try 1.35 and test, if it doesn't crash, lower a bit more, if it crashes, start going up slowly. Less volts, less heat, longer proc life.

I was originally at 1.35v, just finished trying to lower it 1.375v is still crashing, So went back to the 1.4v. I just remembered reading on some forums that people that have oc'd my chip before being in the 1.4-1.45 range getting anything above 4.4GHz I took some screens of cpu-z while running prime95 @ 1.375v

Also added in my other 12gb of dram so running 24gb (6x4gb) still at the 1600(800)freq 1.667v. I might do some more reading and testing to see what I can push out of my current memory. Doesn't look like HW Monitor is picking up my dram temps only see the voltages for it. I'm running the corsair vengeance 1600xmp. I was glancing through the how to's and came across the megathread for the i3,i5,i7 just glanced through late last night but I'll have to give it a thorough read today.

k6WjVMB.png

nxAprLx.png

Earthdog,

On the intel website they suggest 67.9c so in my head I kinda dont want to see much above 70c, I'm sure other people have taken them well past that and have been okay just dont feel comfortable enough to push it past that at 100% load.

That is the Tcase, not TJmax. Two different things. If you stick with 70C, you are leaving some potential on the table. AT 80C, you can rest without worrying about shortening the usable life of the CPU.

Ya wasn't sure what tjmax was at first so I had to google around so the max temp before it shuts itself down is my assumption from what I found. Well maybe I'll push it a little higher down the road when I get to my min/max ocd phase. I was wondering more about using the multiplier vs the base c to raise the overall cpu clock speed, the way I understand things currently is that if I push the base as high as possible and multiplier lower too get the 4.6 range is that its running at higher speed all the time vs. higher multiplier it seems to be a variable rate and jumps around from 12-35 x the 133 base I'm currently at. When I was reading the how to it wasn't really clear why you go one way or the other when doing this. I'm assuming at 100% load it doesn't matter at all but at idle or just browsing the internet ect. it would run lower and get lower temps so not to sure why most people seem to push the base as high as possible vs the multiplier.

Back