• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My laptop build; Overkill or future proof?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wraith
Granted it would be great to have the best and fasted CPU with a kick butt GPU to boot but currently outside temp here in Baghdad it is 123F and it was so hot today that I was sweating in my hooch during lunch time.
If the ambient temp in my room is that warm with the A/C full blown how is that going to cool all that power?
Unless you only turn it on at night time where the A/C can keep up.
I don't even want to count how many laptops I have seen being brought back to USA to be "repaired" from overheating because they left it on during daytime unattended.
Hell, mine was one of them.
All I am saying is don't bring a cooker to the desert, they don't play well together.
Hope that helps in your decision making.

Last edited:
thats a thing of the past man when quads werent very common...

quads are the norm now...
That reasoning doesn't line up. What that post says about performance is no longer true because lots of people bought quads?

All I am saying is don't bring a cooker to the desert, they don't play well together.

Ouch! What make/model laptop were you running? So you're saying it's not uncommon to see people fry laptops in Iraq? Having been deployed only to cold weather areas before I've only been guessing at how much heat output is too much...

Ouch! What make/model laptop were you running? So you're saying it's not uncommon to see people fry laptops in Iraq? Having been deployed only to cold weather areas before I've only been guessing at how much heat output is too much...

A Dell Inspiron E1705 ( see sig)
I had to replace a 7900GS GPU that dust built up on the cooling core even though I cleaned it regularly with compressed air.
Most people over here do not bring laptops like you are wanting to bring, just guessing but I would say most cost in the $800 to $1,500 range.
Mostly it is the newbe's to this zone that burn up their laptops because the A/C's over here are usually worn out or clogged with dust so it don't cool as well as it should.
When you get here, take the A/C air filter out and give it a shake...lol.
You will know what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Just to make sure I am not misleading you I feel I need to add that in central Iraq ( Baghdad area) fall, winter, and spring are alot like East Texas. Minus the rain.
90-60F during fall season
75-30F during winter season
90-60F during spring season
I cannot speak for Afganistan

Last edited:
Back