• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PSUs gone broke!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehYoyo

Hey all. I was sleecing my non-modular PSU cables and now my computer won't start.

Could these be problems?

1.) Wrong pin arrangement - I know the top row is okbut I'll check bottom tomorrow. Also, do same-color wires have the same function? Like do I need to try all permutations of how the reds are arranged?

2.) i broke some pins so I used an old power supply to cut off those pins and twisted the wires (no insulation) together. I used 18 gauge. Could the different type of pin be the problem? (it's still an atx pin, just a different metal). Also, I didnt solder,'only wistedmand heatshrinked. Is that the problem?

Please help!
~TehYoyo

Twist+heatsink is not going to cut it. Especially if that's a high current wire, it's guaranteed to cause problems.

The wires of a given color all have the same function.
As long as the pins came out of the same connector (ATX mobo, ATX CPU power, etc.) using pins from a different PSU should be fine.

The wrong pin arrangement can cause the PSU to not start, it can also cause sudden and complete motherboard death.

So.... I need to solder?

So ATX mobo pins are different from PCI-E pins?

Won't the psu not start because it's not getting the ok signal? And how do I know if I haven't fried my mobo already?

Also, is there a tool I can test my cables with? To see which pins are wrong?

Yes, you definitely need to solder or to use crimp connectors.
I don't know on the PCIe vs ATX24p connector pins. Personally I'd play it safe and use atx24p connector pins.

Whether it would start with the pins mixed up really depends on how mixed up the pins are.

Testing wise, not that I know of. Going by color and an ATX24P pinout is the way to go.

2) An ATX pin is an ATX pin. There is no difference. I would highly suggest getting new pins and crimping them on.

As long as the color matches, it doesn't matter which socket it goes in.

OK thanks for help so far. I'll report back if I have questions.

Edit: My PSUs fixed. My pinout was wrong. Meh. Bob, turns out solder isn't necessary. (Although in a few months when my PSU blows out, I'll definitely admit I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Back