• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAS upgrade... looking into a new Synology unit (what are others using?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah my old NAS box was up for over a year a few times but had to install updates and reboot.
Overall just looking at it, didn't seem very interesting. Maybe something to play with but no redundancy on disk failures would be a big issue IMO unless your backing it up every hour!

While I'm not to impressed with the uptime, the rest is interesting to me because it's more organized than my current setup.

I currently have symlinks to all necessary directories in my samba share. While the linked article may not provide a huge improvement in function, it certainly feels cleaner. snapRAID is also an improvement over my current solution of dumping to an external drive and rsync . All in all the article doesn't offer anything that I can't already do, just more finesse and automation.

I heard horror stories about running large RAID 5 arrays (super long rebuilds, losing data on rebuilds, etc.) With 4 drives, there wasn't a difference between RAID 10 and RAID 6 for storage efficiency, and the RAID 10 has potentially much better read and write speeds compared to RAID 6.

Lose two drives in that RAID6 and you're fine. Lose the wrong two drives in that RAID 10 and your data is gone.

Still amazing to me that people purchase these AIO solutions. For me, it's ZFS or bust, and it's FreeNAS all day long.

The freenas mini is ~$2000 (w/4 discs) and is an aoi. Nothing wrong with that other than the fact a qnap tvs-473 is ~$872, also 4bay (w/no discs). Basically about the same price but the qnap is more powerful imo.
Still I see your point. One can basically just build a box to act as a nas cheaper than if they bought the oem ones and it could easily be much faster and potentially have room for 10 drives or more.
It boils down to less headache, less heat, and just plain lower power requirements. With the prices of video cards I'd hate to have to buy one now too.
Damn, now I'm back to turning my deskstop into one lol.
I agree that zfs is the only way to format which is one thing I never hear with the aio's.

The freenas mini is ~$2000 (w/4 discs) and is an aoi. Nothing wrong with that other than the fact a qnap tvs-473 is ~$872, also 4bay (w/no discs). Basically about the same price but the qnap is more powerful imo.
Still I see your point. One can basically just build a box to act as a nas cheaper than if they bought the oem ones and it could easily be much faster and potentially have room for 10 drives or more.
It boils down to less headache, less heat, and just plain lower power requirements. With the prices of video cards I'd hate to have to buy one now too.
Damn, now I'm back to turning my deskstop into one lol.
I agree that zfs is the only way to format which is one thing I never hear with the aio's.

hes talking about just using the freenas OS on your own custom hardware. not the pre-built stuff from Xsystems.

my setup is prety much that way. my own hardware + freenas OS. my setup wasnt cheap, but im asking it to do a LOT more than just be a place to put files.

I just don't see the sense in, as an enthusiast, paying several hundred dollars for something that we're all plenty smart enough to do on our own. Yeah, my FreeNAS has grown to a build that's notvery typical of the average home user at this point, but it does everything I need it to do.

I looked at FreeNAS, but ended up going with unRAID as it fit what I wanted a bit better. My system has been working very well for me for a number of years. The thing I like the most is the availability to use Dockers. I've got everything from Plex to my home automation running on it. Tons more than that honestly.

ZFS is a very intriguing file system I've yet to mess with. I may have to set up a test FreeNAS box to see what it's all about. Could use it as a back up box.

Back