• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a suggestion for a receiver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

OK guys, got a problem here:

I have a TV with component input (old CRT but component looks gorgeous). I have 4 devices supporting component output: My PC (my Video Card has Component Out), my 360/Wii/PS2 (universal cable), my DVD Player, and my DVR/Cable.

The cable box, PC, and 360 can use Optical or Stereo, and the DVD Player can do Optical, SPDIF, or Stereo.

My Receiver has the following:

2 Component Inputs, 1 SPDIF, and 2 Optical. How I've done it so far is have the DVD and Consoles share the 1st component input, and just have the consoles use stereo RCA as the receiver cannot share optical and SPDIF on that input, and have the DVR on it's own input -- the PC is not yet hooked up.

From work, I have a 1/4 Component switch that has optical jacks, and stereo jacks which I can use a diplexer to interleave SPDIF onto unused stereo jacks, so I have 4 devices which can be Optical OR SPDIF.

Therefore, I have two choices:

Get a simple 1 input Component/SPDIF/Optical receiver/stereo that receives, puts out sound, and then passes to the TV, and hook my switch into that, or get a receiver that has 4 component inputs as well as 1 SPDIF and 3 Optical.

My current stereo would work only if I could get inputs to accept ANY audio input instead of just SPDIF on some and Optical on others. My old receiver would let me switch, but did not have component.

What do you guys suggest?

Back