• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help installing windows on Raptor!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright. I was able to load Windows 98 on this thing using FAT32 with no problem and adding no drivers for it. When I tried to upgrade to XP using the same format it kept giving me this screen like there was no way this thing was going to load XP on the hard drive. The error that I kept getting when I was loading XP right on the hard drive was..........(WD drivers) File\winxp\fasttx2k.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 2108 in d:\xp sp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

and

(Abit drivers) File\RAID\winxp\viamraid.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 2108 in d:\xp sp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Does this make any sense?

Last edited:
I think I am making progress in the hard drive thing. I was reading another thread about installing windows on RAID and they said something about doing an array. Well, I went to the array list and I can't select/change anything in there. Is there anything special that I have to do to array it. I also have a screenshot of a utilty that shows the status of the hard drive if this helps anything.

Attachments

• array.JPG
    array.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 97
Isn't that an XP screenshot? Which driver are you using? if it is the mobo in your sig it should be the sata driver 4.20a download.open the driver disk folder and use the pide/xp files.I would think that if 98 installed without drivers the XP would to.
I may be missing something but you cannot use raid drivers unless you have two disks that would be raided.

i've never needed drivers for installing a raptor...why is that? i always hear of people needing the raptor drivers, but I've never needed them...Is it because of the mobo I use maybe?

You can configure a RAID array with only one device as a member of the array, however it will not actually be doing any level of RAID.

You need to press F6 during start of the setup process, then later in the setup process it should prompt you to insert the driver disc for raid/scsi so that setup can recognize your device. If you cannot do this for whatever reason, you will need to customize the windows installation disc your using, and build the necessary driver into the disc.

I'm not sure why the drivers are necessary, I always assumed it was because the necessary controller drivers weren't built into XP, just like RAID and SCSI drivers arne't all built in.

Back