• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help w/RAM upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM, Here are my current system specs:

Case: MAXTOP Signature CSX-147K2F
CPU: Desktop Barton 2500 333 MHZ FSB w/stock HSF running at stock speed
Mobo: Soltek NFORCE2 SL-75MRN-L
RAM: 512MB (2X256MB) PC3200 Corsair XMS
PSU: SPARKLE FSP350-60BT 350W
Vid. Card: Radeon 9500 softmodded@9700
Drives: Generic 16X DVD Drive, NEC 2500A DVD-RW/+RW, 120GB Western Digital 8 MB cache version

I am currently running WinXP Pro SP1, I would like to add at least 256MB of RAM because sometimes I notice that my system runs out of RAM (I am a chronic shameless multitasker). Should I just get another 256MB stick of Corsair XMS PC3200? Or could I go w/a 512MB stick? What do you guys think?

Thanks for your time,
-Jonathan.

I changed my 512mb (2x245)Corsair TwinX DDR400 for 1gb Geil twin DDR433.
Not happy at all :argue:
Its bigger but slower than my Corsair..:bang head

Last edited:
alot of this depends on the money your looking to spend.....if you've got the cash and don't plan on overclocking a huge amount you should try some ddr400 that will do cas2 at stock, and there are a few generics that can do it. also with prices i would think you should sell what you got and move into the gig territory. also with more ram installed certain things will just plain use more ram as it's more plentiful. but either way i suggest a gig kit.

darkknight187 said:
alot of this depends on the money your looking to spend.....if you've got the cash and don't plan on overclocking a huge amount you should try some ddr400 that will do cas2 at stock, and there are a few generics that can do it. also with prices i would think you should sell what you got and move into the gig territory. also with more ram installed certain things will just plain use more ram as it's more plentiful. but either way i suggest a gig kit.

How much money will that run? I don't think I'll be able to get much money for my current RAM. Couldn't I just buy another 256MB stick?

Sure, you could buy another 256 stick... And fill all your slots, then be at a deadend street when you realize that 3x256 is no longer enough. And when you build a new puter, you still have the 3x256. A gig is more the norm nowadays, and certainly will be in the future.

But of course, its your money...

WingsofGOD said:
Sure, you could buy another 256 stick... And fill all your slots, then be at a deadend street when you realize that 3x256 is no longer enough. And when you build a new puter, you still have the 3x256. A gig is more the norm nowadays, and certainly will be in the future.

But of course, its your money...

By the time I build a new computer, I'll be using DDR2 if not some new type of RAM. In 3-4 years I'll probably buy a laptop for college, that'll probably be last me through college at least.

WingsofGOD said:
Then what was this entire thread about again?

Upgrading my RAM, but really I just wanted to know what configuration to use.

Back