• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netsky Worm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timzak

My wife occasionally gets a Netsky worm email. We are protected with McAfee--no problem. However, everytime OE checks email and there's a Netsky email on Charter's server, McAfee flags it and cleans it---but cancels the email retrieval in the process. What this means is OE is in a constant loop of trying to retrieve the email, McAfee finding and cleaning the worm, OE stopping, lather, rinse, repeat. In the meantime, no other emails have a chance of getting through. The only solution I have found so far is to access her email account through Charter's webmail and delete the offending email from the server there. Is there an easier way? It so far is not a constant problem. I has happened twice in the past 3 days.

No comments?

Is it normal for OE to download an entire email even if you disable the preview pane? This is where the problem occurs. OE starts to download the email, then McAfee catches the Netsky worm in the email and the email download aborts. The trouble is, no other emails download either. If you try to Send/Receive again, it starts to download the same email, McAfee catches it again, etc.

As I said, our workaround is to log onto her mailbox from the webmail client and delete the virus-infected email from there. But it seems there should be a simpler way.

my mom gets this worm every week just about. even with macafee it is a constient pain, i use norton, and i believe i had it at one time. but i used the norton easy one click fix that i download from their site, that fixes and deletes the Netsky worm,( when i had it the normal nortan scan and clean method didn't work, but this did. search for a fix or pm and i will see if i can send it to you( if it works for your mcafee)

I just verified that my wife's computer does NOT have any viruses or worms. I ran McAfee's Stinger.exe that specifically targets all variants of the Netsky worm. It came up clean.

The problem is that she seems to be targeted. She's getting at least a few emails a day that contain the Netsky worm. Every time one arrives, McAfee catches and cleans it immediately. The problem is (as I've mentioned above) that McAfee does not delete the email, nor does it allow it to be retrieved. So Outlook Express keeps trying to download it and McAfee keeps stopping it. What *should* happen is the email is retrieved in OE, flagged by McAfee, and she should have the option of deleting the email within OE. The problem is she does not get this opportunity. We have to log onto the ISP's webmail client to delete the offending email before OE has a chance to download it.

Hopefully this is clear now. What I'm looking for is a solution that lets me delete the email from OE without having to manually log onto the ISP's webmail client to delete it there.

My advice is to call McAfee. It is a bug with there program. Other than that you could use another AV . I use AVG and it doen't cause that problem. I am also using Outlook.

In McAfee's last engine update a few days ago, they fixed this. Now it downloads the email into OE, flags it as having a virus (or worm, etc) and then adds a text attachment to the email telling you what virus it found and that it has been cleaned, etc. Problem solved. :)

Back