• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1800+ vs 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I feel real bad about the Austin thing :(.......but I am glad tohear you all got the same procs. as me WOOH!:D

RedDawg41 said:

testing out on 133FSB to get a good feel for when I can get it up on the nforce2 board. this one is boots up stable @ 2200MHz (133x16.5) on vcore 1.525.... not bad at all.

Recently, I did some calculation to estimate/project what a CPU can do based on its behavior at rated Vcore, if possible plus another data point at rated Vcore + small step (e.g. 50 mV or 100 mV) and its cooling.

Overclocking characteristic (voltage, frequency, power, current, temperature) of a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C

If you look at the graph in that post, if it does 2200 MHz at 1.525 V, using a good HSF such as SLK800/900, it would do around 2.53 GHz with 1.9 V at under 60 C, with 30 C ambient system temperature.

If the full load stable frequencies at two voltage points near rated Vcore (e.g. 1.5 V and 1.6 V) are known, as well as the HSF used, an overclocking characteristic can be created for it.

Last edited:
Treepop - don't fee bad about the Austin/Houston thing. I thought it was humorous.:p

It looks like I have the same JIUHB 0322 series. However, this is my first OC so I don't have a "wall" to report. Actually, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do.

I think my problem is my mobo. It's an esc (Elitegroup) L7VTA and doesn't allow me to change the multiplier or the Vcore in the BIOS. I can change the FSB but it went (prime 95) unstable when I set it to 165mHz. Is there some program that will allow me to change the multiplier and Vcore besides in the BIOS? (I know I can start cutting/shorting things on the processer but I rather not go that rout until I learn OC basics first.)

Mr. Fri- is that a nforce2 board? If not, then I would suggest buying one of those, something like the 8rda+ or a7n8x. You would most likely OC better with one of those boards. I am using an 8rda3+, it is great but about $40 more than the 8rda+, but it has SATA RAID which I plan to use eventually.

Mr. Fri
to tell ya the truth the mobo helps a great deal in overclocking.......I remember being in your position....looking on all of these people overclocking....wondering how it was so easy for them.....then I got my self I few nice motherboards....my first an msi k7n2-L...then a k7n2-iLsr and I thought o my this is much easier then I had ever thought.......then I got into it more and bought myself an abit nf7-s this board has every feature known to man(or just me ;)).....the only real thing you have to do is read.....be patient and know what it is your are messing with.....so your not just changing settings with no conception of what you are doing.....as for software for oerclocking.....YUK!....thats my experiences with it......I know it may sound real scary but I think modding the sockets is so very easy and relativly safe that I would give it a go......with this you can change your vcore your mutiplier and your fsb with some sort of control......Also get yourself the newest bios.....I looked for a hacked bios for your proc.....and I can't seem to find it.......http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/l7vta.htm .....this is a link to the latest bios......you have any questions just ask.........as for the pin mod......
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html this is a niceinteractive guide.......if it is confusing just ask....and we will try and help you........with an updated bios and this guide you should be able to do some purty good overclocken.......what type of setup do you have by the way.....ie......RAM...powersupply.................well again any quesiotn feel free to ask............good luck :D

Treepop,
I checked the BIOS link you gave. It gives the Award BIOS for my board. However, my board came with Phoenix BIOS. I didn't know it was possible to change BIOS brands on a mobo. Maybe that's why I'm not able to control some of the things other can.

I'll try downloading the Award Bios and see if I can get it working on my L7VTA.

By the way, you wouldn't want to part with any of your older boards, would you? I'd give you a fair price.

Can you give me the exact model number and everything you can dig up on your mobo......if it's phoenix bios on your then don't use the link I sent you.....I have never heard of 2 diff bios on the same board......so just wait till I figure out whats up......tell me all about your mobo ECS L7VTA is that all?

**EDIT**

DO NOT FLASH IF IT IS NOT AN EXACT MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope I caughtyou in time......I would not risk it if the match is not exact!

I think we should straighten this out first before you do anything

treepop said:
well on average I would say the 1800+'s are doing better....but that s obviously because their are like a gagillion more 1700+'s on this forum then 1800+'s......essentially the 1700+ and 1800+ are the same processor......(if stepping is the same of course).......the thing is you just gata get lucky to get yourself a good 1800+ or be near a fry's;).....otherwise the guarunteed good stepping at excaliberpc.com is a great deal.......I can only take a stab at why the 1800+'s are doing so well.....and I would say that either they are newer and they did something diff with the chips at amd....or they have been proven at amd to be more stable hence the 1800+ rating instead of 1700+ which means they are proven more stable at ahigher speed....thus the 1800+'s are another weed out of great chips.....like the JIUHB is one weed out then the DLT3C is another way to tell it's a great chip....then 1800+ is like the best of the 1700+'s hence the next weed out of greater chips.....thus more people hitting 2.5gHz plus.....this is totaly a guess....I hope I was clear...I am watching someone play san fransico rush 2049 and they keep saying HEY HEY HEY HEY check this out check this out.....so it's kinda hard to focus on what I am typing:D

**EDIT** I know what the actual diff is between the 1700 and 1800 is I am just saying AMD may have found them more stable hence let them run at a higher speed...hence more overclockability.....if the post before was not clear:D

HILARIOUS I AM HAMMERED

Cisco Kid

james.miller said:
RedDawg41 - my xp1800+ dlt3c is an 0312 - newer than my 0307 xp1700+ dlt3c.
Obviously in any manufacturing process with variables in materials and processes you will get results such as yours. However on the balance of probabilities with a process that is becoming more mature, newer processors will on average perform better than older processors of the same type simply due to the AMD being further up the experience curve and having a better understanding of the entire process.
The one caveat I will state is that naturally as the processes and materials are variable then it is possible that specific batches may perform worse throughout the batch than older batches however this phenomenon is likely to only occur sporadically if at all and as a general rule of thumb my original statement still applies.

Last edited:
hi.....all

just to add my 2pence worth, my 1800+ is a old one i think? is JIUHB 0307 TPMW. It will do 2.4ghz 12x200 stable.but i could never get it run at higher fsb at that speed meaning 200fsb+, but at lower clock speed i can run at higher fsb.
is it just me?
you can only get high fsb or high cpu clock speed?
the sweet spot for this cpu seems to be 225x10.5 @ 2.36ghz with 1.775volts. thats the hihest fsb with cpu speed i can get out of this cpu for it to be stable.

that aint to shabby

but at lower clock speed i can run at higher fsb. is it just me?
No not at all.....if 2.4 is the max your proc can do then thats the max....adding more voltage you might be able to hit higher....but 2.4 is still preaty great:D.......since 2.4 is your limit..but 200 isn't your limit on ram you lowered the multi.....which is what most people do......you can't up your overall mHz but it is possible to up your memory bandwith.......so ya did the right thing:D

thanks Treepop

at least i'm doing something right from time to time, and it's just not me :)

I just spoke to the guys at SVC.com (the ones who were selling the 1700 0319s) about the 1800 0322s. They are going to do some testing like they did with the 1700 0319s and if they look good then we will see them selling that stepping specifically like they did before with the 1700.

I know the 1700 0319 I bought from them has been doing 2520mhz since day one and still running solid.

SVC is a good seller, and they will be looking for the next hot OC chip and bring it to us overclockers in quantity.

Back