• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU gives off what appear to be artifacts but only on Discord... should I RMA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UncleGrandpa

Registered
Hi everyone. Got my son a 6700 non-xt for his birthday last month and it´s been working well so far considering he´s still running the 6600k https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/64728866 but we noticed that while on Discord sometimes, while he´s on video calls, the screen will show strange lines. They've also appeared while he was scrolling rapidly through Discord but I haven't been able to replicate that on other sites. I immediately thought of artifacts and was concerned, but I´m confused by the fact that these things never show while playing demanding games.

Should I still RMA just in case before warranty runs out? Also, is there a benchmark software available that can reliably test for artifacting?

Thanks!

1698982710109.png
1698982893622.png

I like what @Woomack posted above. I'm thinking that if it only happens on one web page, the issue is not hardware related. It could be a driver issue. When your son installed his bday present, was the old driver removed? This can sometimes cause issue. I would download the newest driver but wait on installing it. then download another product like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU is how you'll find it through google.) Run that program to completely remove all graphics drivers on the machine. If he had Nvidia prior to AMD, then run the program to remove those drivers, Intel drivers and even the AMD drivers. Once that is done and the system is rebooted, install the lateset AMD drivers that go fo that card.

If that doesn't work, I would look at the browser. Does it do this in firefox vs chrome vs edge?

If it's connected via Display Port, then I recommend checking another cable or HDMI port. Other than that, reinstall the motherboard/chipset and graphics card drivers. I don't have other ideas right now.

Thanks Woomack, it's connected via HDMI via the same cable we had the old GPU which was a RX580.

I like what @Woomack posted above. I'm thinking that if it only happens on one web page, the issue is not hardware related. It could be a driver issue. When your son installed his bday present, was the old driver removed? This can sometimes cause issue. I would download the newest driver but wait on installing it. then download another product like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU is how you'll find it through google.) Run that program to completely remove all graphics drivers on the machine. If he had Nvidia prior to AMD, then run the program to remove those drivers, Intel drivers and even the AMD drivers. Once that is done and the system is rebooted, install the lateset AMD drivers that go fo that card.

If that doesn't work, I would look at the browser. Does it do this in firefox vs chrome vs edge?

True. I thought it could be something software related, I'm just not that familiar with driver issues. Will try to do a clean install. If I remember correctly,, I did uninstall AMD Adrenaline for the RX580 version, then installed the new GPU, then reinstalled Adrenaline Pro for the 6700 GPU. Not sure if I needed to do a more thorough driver removal.

This is where I would look first...

... also does it happen in the Discord App or just the Discord web page?

Actually, my son tells me it's only happened in the Opera browser. Just in case I will try to make a video call using a different browser.

Also, my son has been trying to play Alan Wake 2, and it's super laggy, even with low presents. Shouldn't the 6700 nonXT be able to handle this game? Weirdest of all was I took a look at AMD metrics and the CPU was only utilized about half way while the GPU was close to 100% o_O. I thought it would be the opposite seeing as we still have a 6600k. Am I missing anything, could this be a bad card? Any benchmark I can run to see if the card is healthy?

1699044291237.png

Actually, my son tells me it's only happened in the Opera browser.
Welp, that's telling, eh? :)

Also, my son has been trying to play Alan Wake 2, and it's super laggy, even with low presents.
He's running a 4c/4t processor from over 8 years and several CPU generations ago with a modern title that sucks down resources. I"m not at all surprised. Seen this thread? The CPU is below the minimum threshold for minimum 1080p, and the video card is one notch above. Demanding title.

There are a lot of articles and videos around the web about how Alan Wake 2 is hard on any hardware. I'm not surprised that on an older PC it's acting like that.

Welp, that's telling, eh? :)

He's running a 4c/4t processor from over 8 years and several CPU generations ago with a modern title that sucks down resources. I"m not at all surprised. Seen this thread? The CPU is below the minimum threshold for minimum 1080p, and the video card is one notch above. Demanding title.

True haha I'm a bit more relieved now that it seems to be a browser issue. Hopefully will be getting a new CPU on Christmas 'cause the bottleneck is probably BAD :cry: I'm confused though, why is CPU utilization at like 50% then and GPU util at 98%? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

There are a lot of articles and videos around the web about how Alan Wake 2 is hard on any hardware. I'm not surprised that on an older PC it's acting like that.

Yeah this game is insane. Doesn't even look that amazing though IMHO, or maybe it's the fact we have a so so monitor.

Back