• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New To Phase Change Cooling, Where to Start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lwj5

Registered
Hi, i really new to phase change, dont quite know how it works.
so is there any guides teaching connecting thoose things up, i know quite much abt insulating though.

And can some1 recommend me some compressors and Oil.

got some quetions,
1) is the compressor really that hot when ran for abt 6hrs
2) is there a need to use water in a phase change setup?
3) How does a evaporator works?

Thx

Are you wanting phase change explained (as in DIY) or how to use a unit that is already functioning?

There are many DIY guides out there already.

1) compressor heat is handled with air cooling and some condensation (created on the condensor) blow back, the fan on the condensor blows back at the compressor and the rear fan blows out of the unit. They can be run 24/7 so they arn't designed to get all that hot.
2)If your refering to cooling the phase change unit, no. If your refereing to using a direct die phase change unit on your CPU and water on your GFX, Thats fairly normal. (other then those chiller guys :p )
3)The answer to this would be easy to find if the subject is reserched but Ill give you a short answer.. the metering divise (cap tube or expantion valve) releases the refergerant into the chambers were the gas takes the long way around absorbing the heat inside of the evaporator and the suction line sucks out the liquid refigerant to start the entire prosess over again.

ya i looking towards making it myself

is direct die on the CPU better than using it to cool water then the water cool the CPU?

Last edited:
A direct die CPU cooler is going to reach lower temperatures for that heat load given the same amount of heat removing capasity of the system.

That being said, it depends on what your wanting to do, if you only want to use phase change on your CPU I would recomend direct die.. If you want to chill your GFX and your CPU I would recomend a liquid chiller.

DIY phase guides.. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104454

but people has done double evaporator on 1 compressor theres a guide on it i want to try it out

Its difficult to load ballance two evaporators, its something thats normaly done after being sucessfull in making a single evap DD at least, I would suggest at least mocking up and trying to build, charge and tune a single evap direct die first then converting that into the dual head if thats what your intrested in.

You'll also want more capasity in the system itself (more compressing power and condencing capasity then a single head direct die would need)

What are your heat load goals? (what CPU and how far do you want to be able to overclock it and what GFX and how much heat will it produce at the desired overclock)

You might want to consider that a compressor big enough to pull this off is not going to be silent (thats high on alot of peoples priorty list)

Last edited:
my specs r already listed below in my sig i want my E6600 to go to at least a 3.8GHz and keep @ at least below 0C and GFX i have not made a goal yet

but if i use a phase to cool water n water cool my GFX and CPU and O'C to 3.8 will i be able to get at least 10C if yes i would really go with water, my amb temps here are between abt 25C to 35C

what kind of compressor should i go for, recipro or rotary, whats the diff(other then the size n shape lol)

Last edited:
Your CPU clock goal is low.. you'll be more then fine :p
It would depend on what is the bottleneck in your system as to how much effort you would logicly want to put into cooling it.. If the GFX is the bottleneck you would want to put more effort into cooling it (your current one would be but an upgrade to 8800+ wouldn't)
So, current GFX it would make sence to chill it or direct die it. DX10 card? Even water cooled it the CPU would still be the bottlneck under full force direct die Phase.

I would deside now if your thinking about upgrading GFX's any time soon.. if so.. I would just get to getting the CPU as cold as possible and clock the CPU and Ram as high as possible (near 300W heat load capasity on a SS DD wouldn't be overkill IMHO)

its driving me nuts seeing water over and over again :p its Liquid vapor phase change cooling for a reason, water freezes :p ;)

Alot of people avoid rotarys because most of them are loud under opeation, but if you can find a relitvley quiet one they are a good choice for performance (power) and by design then release less heat into the system.
for a single heat source DD SS, I wouldnt mess around with anything less then 1/3HP normaly (for more heat load capasity) all the way down to 1/5 would be functional however.. for your goals.. 1/2HP would be BIG (take the wattage of the compressor into consideration when selecting a condinser for the system, heat loads you want + the compressor + 3% (line loss and such) = capasity your condensor needs to be)

still waiting for a DDR4 card which supports Dx 10 and Crossfire, hope it comes out fast

should be within a quarter (3 months ish)

If your going in early on a R600 cards, I would seriously consider powerfull (high heat capasity) direct die on the CPU and see if you need more then high end air on the GFX's to keep it/them from being the bottleneck in your system.
hope you have plans for some nice high res. display(s) ;)

Back