• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua NT-H1 vs Coolermaster Mastergel Maker. Under the microscope.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignazpwns

Bare with me I could not get to one of our good inspection scops so I'm using a beat up engineering scope. But I'll update the pics when they are finished inspecting wafers.

Start off these are both excellent paste and you can't go wrong with either one. So let's see what they look at under high magnafcation.

The average size for the NT-H1 was around .75um. why the Nano was around .58um. but the nano also has diamonds in it. They come in at around 5um in size.

From my testing I found the Nano to be around 2c better then the NT-H1. And it's clear why. The big gaps are filled by the 5um diamonds why the smaller gaps are filled with the .58um meterial. You can effectively fill larger gaps better and can fill smaller gaps the NT-H1 can not. I would have no problem running either one. They are consistent and high quality.

I'll update this with better pictures when I can. But here's a few I took on a scope we don't use for stuff this small. Typically we only lol at stuff around 200um because the resalution kinda sucks on it. But I'll take the pictures again on a scope we use for sub micron inspection.

NT-H1

[ NT-H1-2.jpg NT-H1-4.jpg NT-H1-5.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Coolermaster Mastergel Maker Nano-4.jpg Nano-3.jpg Nano-2.jpg

Attachments

• NT-H1-3.jpg
    NT-H1-3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,352
Hard to get it in picture. But this is a calibration slide. Red is the size and then green are the size of some of the diamonds that are visable. Average size is 5um when you get it all in focus.

20190714-231336-297890.png

This one is at less magnafcation.
20190714_231046_489277.jpg

NT-H1
20190714_231608_130296.jpg

20190714-231651-881278.png

I'll be doing more paste. I think i got a tube of AS5 laying around. And if anyone has an "empty tube" they wanna send me of a thermal paste to get some close up's of and measurements you can send it to me. If i can stick a needle in there and get a little on the tip of a needle that's more then enough to check out.

Last edited:
In my tests both were pretty much equal, maybe that 1-2°C difference tops but it's usually an error margin while applying TIM. NT-H2 was slightly better, but it also spreads much easier so I would take a look at this new Noctua TIM ... if you can get it at a reasonable price.
I also noticed that Coolermaster Mastergel was advertised as a TIM for extreme overclocking while it cracks under SS or dry ice cooling, so in my case, it was -30°C or lower.

Last edited:
Should I admit I'm more interested in the optical side than the paste side? Those dimensions are getting comparable to wavelength of light magnitudes. Diffraction must be a pain, not to mention focusing... Contrast seems low, if you stretch the image a bit it could make it look a lot better.

Should I admit I'm more interested in the optical side than the paste side? Those dimensions are getting comparable to wavelength of light magnitudes. Diffraction must be a pain, not to mention focusing... Contrast seems low, if you stretch the image a bit it could make it look a lot better.

Yeah lol. It's hard to get a good image on that station. I should be able to see down t o .4um on there but I really need to get a better light on there for it. I'm an optoelectronics engineer lol. But yeah it's not easy I should toss it under the SEM. But this works I was able to get the info I need. But I'm going to get a few samples on slides then take. Picture with a SEM.

I can adjust some settings and get it better but I don't wanna mess with the settings till it's done being used. We're using it to check out lenses on 50um parts.

Back