• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-conductive Spray to cover/protect electronics from Condensation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strokeside

Hi,
I have a TEC rig that I am using and have seen sprays and liquids advertised
to protect electronics from damp and condensation shorting them out. Has
anyone ever use anything like that for their rig?

I am also planning to use another TEC rig to rapidly freeze hard drives as a technique to retreive data from them and this kind of stuff would come in handy too.

I have Dielectric grease but was wondering was there anything out there in spray form? (that someone has treid nd is happy with!)

ive seen a red liquid electric tape type stuff used, i think it's brushed on. and they said it peels off relatively easily if you need to do somethin to the board. other than that all ive seen is dielectric grease and vaseline, which works the same.

Adragontattoo said:
I was in Home depot yesterday and they were selling a dip to rerubber the handles on tools. You could possibly use that BUT I am sure that it would insulate heat as well as electronics

That stuff is called Rubberize-It, it's also flammable :mad:

you can also use nail polish, i've used this on all my boards and have never killed one since using this even when some condensation occurs.

easy to remove too :)

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=20-2242

Fine-L-Kote UR® is highly resistant to most solvents, moisture, fungus, and molds. A clear, repairable coating, Fine-L-Kote UR® is formulated with a black light indicator, Opti/Scan, to provide checks for conformity in quality control. Coated boards can be reworked by applying soldering iron directly to coating. Applications include PC boards, thick film circuits and electr-L-Kote Remover (#20-2245).Applications include PC boards, thick film circuits and electrical components. 12 oz. aerosol can, 24 cans per case. Mfr. #2104-12S.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=20-2242

Fine-L-Kote UR® is highly resistant to most solvents, moisture, fungus, and molds. A clear, repairable coating, Fine-L-Kote UR® is formulated with a black light indicator, Opti/Scan, to provide checks for conformity in quality control. Coated boards can be reworked by applying soldering iron directly to coating. Applications include PC boards, thick film circuits and electr-L-Kote Remover (#20-2245).Applications include PC boards, thick film circuits and electrical components. 12 oz. aerosol can, 24 cans per case. Mfr. #2104-12S.
wouldn't that be more for the back side of the board though? I think he was talking to put around the socket to go under the insulation, unless I'm mistaken

ello, im new here so please forgive me if I sound like a newbie.... because I am :)

ok here goes, prepare to ridicule to your hearts content.....
...would it not be possible to use something like 'WD-40' i think its also known as 'penetrating oil' and 'Damp Start' when used in car distributor caps.

Basically its used to repel moisture, i believe its non-conductive. I would expect this to work although it would be a little messy. If im missing the point of this topic please feel free to point and laugh :)

Last edited:
What you are looking for is called "Conformal Coating". We used it on the embedded computers that we design and manufacture. There are a various types out there... google it.

3M makes a clear liquid that can be brushed on to electronic components. It resembles plain old water in the bottle, but repels water and prevents condensation. I got a free sample bottle by requesting it online, which contains enough to last a lifetime if only using it on PC components. I cannot rememer the exact name offhand but can check when I get home from work later.

jcw122 said:
That stuff is called Rubberize-It, it's also flammable :mad:

been looking for something like that for a long time! well i didn't really look, i've just thought about it. a lot of my hand tools are loosing their grips, sounds like a good deal!

sorry for thread-jacking!

Back