• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

not happy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

ABIT NF7 (POS) :mad: -> continuously shuts down after running SAH for around 10secs :mad:, can't play games :mad:, etc, load temp at 51°C but STILL shuts down :mad:; got no email reply from abit and that was days ago. :mad:

good ol' Fastfame 8VTAE -> even though it's old as heck, it was indredibly stable, my old 1ghz thunderbird was as warm as 60°C and could still run SAH for days if i wanted to; their tech support would reply my emails in just a few hours.

way to go.. 109 bucks wasted on this POS :bang head

Yeah you're totally right, it is a piece of ****, thats why so many people here on the forums use it, right? Chances are you just have some settings wrong or set up something wrong because the nf7 definitely isnt a piece of ****. Also, I see in your sig that you're running your 2500+ @ 200x9, you know thats underclocked right?

9x200=1800
11x166=1826
:bang head :bang head
10x200=reboot in 3mins in OS screen
11x200=haven't tried, it would probably reboot as soon as it got into OS screen.

Such a nice board, so nice that many people have had more than 5 nf7 dying... yea you're right...

Well, you obviously have some problems but I wouldnt just blame it on the board. What are your settings in bios, like your voltages and whatnot because you should easily be able to run your 2500+ a lot higher than that.

I've just tried 9x205 (which should be 203), and it shut down and gave me that annoying alarm once i saved settings. I reseted everything to default.
As for voltages, [email protected] (which should be 1.65 according to some FAQs), vdimm@2,72 (2,6 in the bios), [email protected], +5,00@5,05~5,08V, +12,00@11,98~12,04~12,08V, -12,00@-12,35~12,44V, -5,00@-5,29~-5,34V

EDIT:
AXDA2500DKV4D
AQXEA 0334 SPMW

i've read somewhere that AXDA are "screwed up bartons" and should take it back, or something.

Last edited:
what about the chipset voltage, if you havent raised that at all yet try raising it up to 1.7 or whatever the highest is.

Also, your motherboard or RAM might be defective. Try running Memtest86 at default settings to see if your RAM is jacked up.

I've used a few of these boards, and they've all been great. Either you have defective components, or something is set wrong. What are your BIOS settings?

Yeah try what he said, at the settings your using run memtest86 to make sure your ram is not causing the problems.

well crap, i ran memtest once (didn't have patience to run it more), and got no errors with default settings. then i increased fsb to 200 and decreased multiplier to 9, saved settings. boo hoo shut down & alarm. this is frigging ridiculous. gonna reflash the bios and see if it helps...

The more information you provide, the more people can help you. When someone takes the time out of their lives and asks you what your bios settings are, you need to take the same time and give them an answer. There are many settings in your bios that interract and can have an adverse effect on your success. If we don't know what you have, we can't help you possibly save a lot of time chasing down problematic settings we have already worked through ourselves.

reflashing your bios should be one of the last things you do, only after having exhausted other avenues. The D19 bios is a good bios.

Cool down, slow down and give in order to get.

EDIT: Here's a good starting point.

Hoot

i had that problem, have you tried re-seating your HSF? fixed it for me after some fiddling around.

Also, try resetting the BIOS to defaults...not safe defaults, but I think it's called "Optimal Defaults" or something like that. Once you set that, go back into your overclocking setup, and set to 9x200 or whatever was giving you problems. If that fixes things, that means there was some setting in there that was causing instability. If that doesn't fix things, then it could be something else.

Do what johan said but also make sure you raise your chipset and core voltages a little and also if you need to your ram voltage. Also make sure your ram is running at the right timings and the right ratio. If this doesnt work it may be that your cpu is overheating. Also, check the bios health settings and make sure that fail if cpufan is disconnected is disabled and also raise the auto shutdown temps a little.

johan851 said:
Also, try resetting the BIOS to defaults...not safe defaults, but I think it's called "Optimal Defaults" or something like that. Once you set that, go back into your overclocking setup, and set to 9x200 or whatever was giving you problems. If that fixes things, that means there was some setting in there that was causing instability. If that doesn't fix things, then it could be something else.

I've done that, been running memtest in the last hours with everything on default and then at 9x200. It didn't accuse any errors.

necromanx13x said:
Do what johan said but also make sure you raise your chipset and core voltages a little and also if you need to your ram voltage. Also make sure your ram is running at the right timings and the right ratio. If this doesnt work it may be that your cpu is overheating. Also, check the bios health settings and make sure that fail if cpufan is disconnected is disabled and also raise the auto shutdown temps a little.

I was only able to raise the core voltage a little, [email protected] or [email protected] resulted in shut down+alarm.

Hoot said:
The more information you provide, the more people can help you. When someone takes the time out of their lives and asks you what your bios settings are, you need to take the same time and give them an answer. There are many settings in your bios that interract and can have an adverse effect on your success. If we don't know what you have, we can't help you possibly save a lot of time chasing down problematic settings we have already worked through ourselves.

reflashing your bios should be one of the last things you do, only after having exhausted other avenues. The D19 bios is a good bios.

Cool down, slow down and give in order to get.

EDIT: Here's a good starting point.

copy/paste-wonders here you go

Softmenu III Setup
CPU Operating Speed: User Define
External Clock: 200
Multiplifier Factor: 9
AGP Frequency: 66
CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio: Auto or 6/6
CPU Interface: Enabled
Power Supply Controller: User Define
CPU Core Voltage: 1.675v
DDR SDRAM Voltage: 2.6v (2.7v results in shut down)
Chipset Voltage: 1.6v (1.7v results in shut down)
AGP Voltage: 1.5v

Advanced Chipset Features
Memory Timings: Expert
Row Active... : 6, 7 or 11 (neither helped)
Ras to Cas... : 3
RAS Precharge... : 3
CAS Latency... : 2
System Bios Cacheable: Disabled
Video Ram Cacheable: Disabled
CPU Thermal Throttling: Disabled
Enhance PCI: Disabled
CPU Disconnect: Disabled
AGP Transfer: 4x
AGP Fast Writes: Disabled

IR/SATA/LAN disabled

^wargod said:
i had that problem, have you tried re-seating your HSF? fixed it for me after some fiddling around.

It didn't matter (for me). Correct me if i'm wrong, but if it was the temperature, it wouldn't shut down at 48°C after all OS services stoped loading and i ran SAH for seconds.

@Hoot

Right now i just lost the 3rd USB port by "unknown" reasons, i'd say due to all these BS retarded shut downs. Now i only got 1 USB port left. I can barely mess with bios 'cause it will just crash or something.

I was only able to raise the core voltage a little, [email protected] or [email protected] resulted in shut down+alarm.
Ok, that's really good information to know. Try booting at stock settings with your chipset voltage at 1.6v. Then run burn in or something that will stress the NB. After running that a while, feel your NB sink and see how hot it is. It could be a NB cooling problem.

Another possibility is that your RAM doesn't do well with high voltages...but let's test out the NB possibility first.

I haven't downloaded torture programs such as prime95 or sandra since i upgraded and formatted hd, i thought playing FS2004 and IL2 Sturmovik on highest settings should be enough. With air conditioner on i can play for like 3~5mins before pc shuts down, with it off i can play for seconds.
NB temp won't go higher than 31~33°C on full load.

Hmm...interesting stuff about the AC. Have you tried lowering your vCore? It's possible that the extra heat is destabilizing your OC. Could just be a poorly scaling CPU.

I've read in FAQs that vcore is undervolted and should be set .2v higher (1.675=1.65), which is supposed to be default voltage.

Back