• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVDA vs AMD, a lost battle for AMD. (stock analysis)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, i'm not going to get sucked into a playground argument with you or bobnova about who said what, where, when and who you like to keep pictures of on your respective "my idles" wall.

The Internet is a wide and wonderful place full of lots of interesting information, what information's you find depends on what search strings you use, if you have only ever found one thing then your only searching for one thing, i suggest you also change your searching habits.

I'm not going to do that for you.
I too must call the bluff.
I've been on the internet for a while and I know what the above translates to.

If you want your statements to be taken as fact you have to be willing to back them up. If you cannot back them up, they aren't fact.
At this point you're really sort of stuck. You can either go hunt for a link, or you can leave it looking like you can't find one but aren't willing to admit it.

In any case, I stand by my statement of what I have seen:

Nvidia pimping themselves out.
AMD attacking Nvidia.

Dead link is dead. Please try again.
An article in german about a now dead link in chinese does not work. Especially not when AMD is using youtube :p

German site... Google translate does not do a good enough job to remotely understand the point. I will try to find something on that in English.

EDIT: Google foo not working. I cant find squat. Frakk, something in a language we speak please...

EDIT2: OMG I forgot about that AMD video...hahaha!

Ok... here is Nvidia Paying Spammers to troll criticism about AMD badly translated.....

are you now going to come back at that pulling the topic right off, and start the argument your looking for?

I am half German/Half Asian. so that reads well to me. that article is just people 'accusing' nvidia for doing so. It has nothing to do with Nvidia smearing AMD on advertisement or campaigns.. so no.. I will not be calling that any proof at all. It only speaks on forum sites with post attacking AMD being deleted. and one of the posters 'claimes' he's being compensated by nvidia, Probably just a fan of nvidia. I fail to read anything beyond that at all. further, attacking on forum is not only inefficient, it often sparks opposite effects.

lets keep this civil. But Frakk, it does look like you called some accusation on Nvidia based on bogus rumors. If you have further proof, I would love to see it, but otherwise, I think everyone else actually got their facts right this time. AMD is quite openly attacking Nvidia in ad and campaigns.

as of now.. unless you have more to show...

AMD smears Nvidia officially in advertisements.
Nvidia only brags about themselves.

I am keeping an open mindto this frakk, I would glad to be inspired if you have anything to share.
cheers.

Last edited:
Here is one... http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/21198-nvidia-attacks-amd-great-drivers-claim

this is the former link without translate http://www.golem.de/1201/89337.html

its mentioned here http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?68435-Anti-AMD-ATI-Spammer-army-paid-by-Nvidia-unmasked-!

@ bluezero5. here you go, this is rumor, that is rumour, its all rumour unless its an AMD -. Nvidia attack rumour right?

I'm bowing out of this, i'm 36, not 9.

Frakk.. these are still just fan talk.
Senior Product PR Manager EMEA, a well known Nvidia representative.
.... so just another employee's comment..

maybe you misunderstood us here.

Of course both companies employees are proud of their own products. and they probably both talk smack on a personal level. (if that was your point.) However, AMD is the ONLY one that went as far with a ad campaign to smear on Nvidia.. and that's what we are saying. Of course fans and employees will talk smack, I bet they sometimes even talk smack about their OWN stuff. But that doesn't make it any official. An Official attack would be like what AMD did from Earthdog's post.

which .. is very very dirty on AMD's part.

So two more links to the same german post that has no backup, and one really mild statement refuting AMD's driver claims by a PR flak? That's your counter for the well known dirty tactics? Did you watch my youtube link?

lol I'd forgotten about those.
To be fair to AMD, their bashing of other companies is generally hilarious.

^Well, and it works! It made me hold 3 months before buying my first 2600k:sn:

Its not as easy as that.

Nvidia is bragging a lot which is a big marketing instrument, while AMD is limited doing so. AMD is more likely accusing others of flaws which might affect AMD in some way. They kinda are trying to take the position of a company with higher ethic values, which in some term is another kind of marketing. Someone fusioning with Samsung in any known way is always furthest away from any ethical approach, the only one worse than that is "Foxxcon". So that kind of action is making Nvidia powerful but it does not enhance theyr purity... and thats the spot where AMD could place a strike.

For the general community, Nvidias proprietary software can be a mess because in the same way such as MS, it is able to eliminate proper competition because it will be able to remove a certain standart usable for everyone. When at the same time the marketing is strong, and free Dev kits are provided, then its indeed a rather dirty buisness, and thats what Nvidia is executing all the time. Fair enough, Nvidia got great hardware and even better software, however, they are doing the same stuff such as MS and Apple, trying to build some closed environment. If that is a advantage to humanity or a disadvantage, is hard to say, but one is for certain: It will be pricy and usualy it will benefit the rich, and is less benefit for the poor because it may decrease access to free and great software.

So, AMD certainly got a reason for making lot of accusations. Although, the only stuff they are great at is, GPU and HTPC/mobile/server CPUs with great IGPs, i think.

^Ivy, do you believe ANY of these blue chips think about ethic when it come to stocks value?

You are talking about Apple... Do you remember, 10 years ago? Apple was considered as the brand to go for the "different people", and look at what they are (I know them well, used to be a manager in the company)...

MAKING MONEY, that's all that counts for any of them!

So, go for the best bang for bucks...

Its not that i consider AMD "ethical", but its at least better than what i see at many other manufacturers. Unless something its Japan made, there is indeed not a single hardware part produced in a way that i would feel satisfied with. But its not only the production, its the entire mentality of a specific company which counts. But worst of all, the quality is decreasing more and more, and its pretty messy with all the RMA nowadays because so much of bad parts. Hardly any quality control at all, at the consumer level.

I do not avoid Nvidia, Intel, or even Apple just because of "ethical" reasons. They all are almost the same what those matters are concerned, and i would still buy those stuff. But some manufacturers are still worse than others. Sony for example is one of the worst offenders in my book (mentality toward customers is worst case), and of course, Foxxcon and Samsung is pretty much down the list (at those its mainly mentality toward workers). One of the least guilty ones is Sega and AMD is somewhere at mid range, in my book. Cant be helped, im in need of those hardware for my daily lifestyle, however, its definitely not a product where i would feel purified by thinking "where it came from". Happily i have other products (such as food) where i actually can feel positive about its entire production chain, which is hard but at least possible.

The reason i was not using a Nvidia card for several years isnt some mentality issue, they simply didnt have the right package i was looking for. The stuff im looking for is in my signature. ;) AMD isnt a bad GPU developer for people like me, and Nvidia still didnt release a mid range Kepler series, which is against my needs. I usualy go for upper mid range and effective architecture.

Last edited:
I suspect the difference in stock performance between amd and nvidia is not a gpu vs gpu thing. I don't think that nvidia sells too much more than AMD, but I do not have numbers so I could be wrong. It seems to me that nvidia is ahead in mobile cpus and processors. They beat amd to the game and amd is trying to get into that smaller stuff. Cell phones, tablets and that type of thing. I don't really understand why amd is going down so much lately, I noticed it but I haven't looked into it. I would guess it is just a casualty of the economy, being that it has not diversified itself into the more booming areas of tech.

That proves of how much importance the GPU market has become for AMD, with the focus on high end and IGP solutions. The CPU is so weak, that actually only the server CPU is truly of use, but mainly because Intel is charging 100 camel while AMD is happy trading a single donkey for. ;) The desktop market... oh well, the margin is that low that it doesnt seem to be a great buisness anymore. Cant sell such CPUs any high, when it can only deliver half the speed of a Intel CPU. The good thing though: High end GPUs and IGPs are more important than powerful CPUs nowadays... because GPUs are so much more powerful at raw calculation power and its used more and more for GPGPU applications, which is increasing a lot. So in my book GPUs are more important nowadays, not only for gamers, but for everyone else. Even Intel noticed that fact and is trying to put in additional value inside theyr CPUs by crafting IGPs. Intel is delaying theyr own CPU development on purpose because there is no need and no gain by keeping it up in a fast manner, and that way they can charge the same customers twice. So, as slower the development and as more of "in between"; as more rewarding for them.

Last edited:
I think intels cpu perf should jump quite a bit when they get apu's integrated enough that it unloads fp to the gpu area. I think they are doing alright with the apu's and lower end desktops. Maybe it will be a good time to buy stock. wait for it to hit bottom.

I'd like to see AMD come back with some very competitive products. Understandably their consumer CPU's are going in a different direction than Intels.

Their GPU's, come on!!!! Ever since Nvidia popped out the GTX670, AMD has MIA.

Time to do another HD4000's and really give Nvidia a run.

As much as AMD/ATI is always the under dog I will still be a fan boy :D.

I love their marketing and the way they bash on others :D. All said and done.. bang for your buck they were, are and always will be the best.

ADD:

Let's not forget AMD was the very first company to combine logic gates on one chip and separate logic gate combinations on one chip .. :).. for all purposes they pretty much invented multi-transistor chips :)

Back