• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] Google ChromeOS CR48 Netbook Hands On Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm really starting to love this thing. If anyone else got one today, let us know what you think too.

Very cool to see that someone from our site has one. I was thinking about applying for one when they announced the beta.

Nice Splat..I am really hoping to get one. I think I wrote a compelling dissertation. How long between when you sent in your application and when they notified you? I sent mine in Tue. I told them I lived near you...don't know if that will help or hurt!:p Are there any restrictions as far as reviewing it?

I applied on monday. I use chrome as my main browser and i use the dev channel (beta browser) so when i opened a new tab I had a banner saying "apply for a netbook now". all i had to do was put in my address and name. I didn't have to type any term paper or answer questions. Then I got no warning I was getting one. I saw reports today that people got theirs so i checked at my front desk around lunch time and sure enough, it was there.

developer mode

There is a switch under the battery and behind a small piece of black tape. If you flip it and boot up it will present a warning screen that will timeout after 30 seconds, or hit Ctrl-D to bypass. Then it will wipe the users and any personal data as a security measure and boot to the setup screen. Once booted you can use Ctrl-Alt-Rightarrow/F2 in order to get to some instructions and a shell prompt where you can login and explore.

For more information see http://goo.gl/SlKpg

I live/work in the UK, but can easily receive stuff in the US.

Since I think I can make a case as a fairly unique end user (as an academic / scientist), I'm giving the application a shot. (as educational user, rather than individual). It does give me a few more text fields to make a better case.

If they send one out, I'll pay my family to ship it here.

How's the battery life on this thing? Have you tried going offline with cached documents yet?

Also, can the USB port access standards flash drives? It woudl be nice if the SD slot worked, since I use such a card for daily data transfer to/from my Mac (work) and PC and netbook (home).

We'll see ...

I just applied for one, although I just bought an Asus eee, wish I'd of known about this pilot before :(.

One thing to note is that on the individual application, there is a limit of 140 characters but it won't actually stop you at 140. I'm not sure if that is a test or not!? :chair:

Yes, the form seems to be very rushed. I limited myself to 140 characters on that particular field. Also, there was no confirmation of success/failure after clicking "submit." Very rough interface. ;)

dam, I applied for one of these, but Im out of the USA, so I dont think i will get one :(

pleased to see that some one did though .

I found the little switch under the tape in teh battery compartment. Switching it, I could not boot in to ChromeOS, it just said "chrome os not found" and showed a picture of a dead laptop asking for a recovery USB key to be plugged in. When I switched it back, i had to go thru all the setup steps again but all my 'apps' were still installed

developer mode

It should present a screen saying "Chrome OS Verification is turned off" and then instructing you to press SPACE to being recovery. If you ignore that and press Ctrl-D instead it should proceed to boot.

And as you noticed if you flip the switch back to normal mode it will clear things back to factory condition but when you create an account and log in it will sync everything again.

ah, i missed the ctrl+D part. i'll play with that more this weekend

Sweet. Not bad speeds then - 160/100.

Hope I'm selected. Is it a beta type thing where you send the product back, or are you able to keep it?

That's actually a really great question. Splat, what were the terms and conditions?

i don't specifically see anything that says "yours to keep forever", but i don't see anything that says "loaner".

here's the fine print at the bottom of the application if you didn't see it before:
from https://services.google.com/fb/forms/cr48advanced/: By selecting "I agree", you agree that Google may use, adapt, translate, and copy your submission materials to advertise, publicize, and promote Google's business activities in present or future media. You agree that Google may incorporate its own audio, visual, musical, and other effects into such materials. You also agree that you own and have the right to authorize Google's activities as set out in this agreement and that you are aware of no other permission being needed to undertake these activities. In all cases, Google acquires no ownership right over your materials. You also agree that you shall not have the right to terminate or rescind this consent or to restrain the production, distribution, or advertising of your materials.

If selected as a Chrome OS Pilot Program participant, I authorize Google to collect anonymous browsing statistics and other usage data for tracking and analysis purposes as outlined in the Google Privacy Policy, located at http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html. This data will not be associated with me, but will be tracked anonymously. Furthermore, I agree to participate in all product feedback studies conducted by the Google Chrome OS team for the duration of the Pilot Program and agree to be opted in to the Chrome OS feedback group. I understand that Google will only ship the device to a US-based address and cannot send this device to a P.O. Box or address outside of the US. I agree to not sell or transfer the device to anyone else, unless under written instruction from Google to do so. Replacement of broken devices is subject to Google's review and Google may elect not to replace a non-functioning or broken device at Google's sole discretion. In the event that Google elects to replace a broken device, Google will cover all shipping and handling fees. Google reserves the right to contact you about Chrome OS or related Google products by email, phone, post, or in-person upon submitting this application. Please indicate your agreement to the above terms by clicking "I agree".

Thanks, I do remember that. Nothing about the length of trial, ownership status (aside from no selling or transfer), or what happens after the end of the trial of unspecified length. I'm really surprised it didn't come with an agreement of some sort--this seems to be exceedingly informal!

Thanks for the info! -- Paul

Back