• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Patriot Inferno 100GB SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, the SB850 is AMD's southbridge, but P55 boards have no southbridge. Well, it does sort-of. Basically, since the P55 chips handle the fast PCIe lanes (think graphics) & RAM on-die in the CPU, all that's left is pretty much the normal southbridge functioning, which is handled by the P55 itself.

EDIT - Here; the diagram can show it better than I can explain it. Hope Intel doesn't mind hot-linking.

p55_diagram.gif

So it's not really a "chipset" at all except in the traditional form of the word. It's just a chip.

Last edited:
I guess it just gets confusing when motherboard manufacturers list ICH10R as the southbridge. The ICH10R is really just part of the P55 chipset/southbridge, as seen in the "6 SATA; eSATA -> Intel Matrix Storage Tech" section.

You've seen P55 boards with an ICH10R listed as the SB? I just checked a bunch on Newegg and they all only list the P55. It certainly has all of the features of the ICH10R (Anandtech called it the ICH10.1). How they compare with each other as far as speeds I'm not sure.

For clarity, when I said "I wish I had an ICH10R board", it had more to do with the fact that having an ICH10R board would mean I had an X58 board. :)

On NewEgg the P55 boards have "Intel P55" listed as NB, and the X58 boards have ICH10R listed as SB. So, it seems they are listing P55 and X58 as the NB, with ICH10R as the SB.

so AMD still hasnt been able to fix the such low read/write speeds on the SB vs intel. im a little disappointed about that...

On NewEgg the P55 boards have "Intel P55" listed as NB, and the X58 boards have ICH10R listed as SB. So, it seems they are listing P55 and X58 as the NB, with ICH10R as the SB.
They just list the P55 as a NB because it's (probably) easier for them rather than making a new PCH designation for one chipset. There is no ICH10R, which is why there is no southbridge listed under any of the boards. :)
so AMD still hasnt been able to fix the such low read/write speeds on the SB vs intel. im a little disappointed about that...
Actually, the SB850 is doing a good job against P55 right now. In fact, the latter is failing to come even close in AS-SSD. I'm trying to diagnose and see if it's something I'm doing or if it really is not as good. Don't be disappointed yet. :salute:

It's also among the fastest out there. (OCZ's is a bit faster because of their exclusive agreement with SandForce to get server-level firmware.) SandForce SSDs rule!

Back