• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Phenom II X4 945 to 3.75Ghz possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fry

Registered
Hello guys,

i have a :
CPU: Phenom II X4 945 3Ghz
MB: MSI 740GM P25 (BiosV. 2.5)
RAM: 4Gb Kingston Value Ram 1333Mhz

Zotac GTX 260 AMP2 @699/2200/1430Mhz
A SSD and some HDD's with DVD burner and reader...

After reading the Phenom II Guid, i have got my system running @

3.75Ghz (250x15)
x4 HTL for 1000Mhz
x8 CPU-NB 2000Mhz
as recommended in the Guid!
my RAM is clocked to std 1333 by a devorce of 1:2:66 i beleave it was.

Now i put the CPU voltage to 1.426 and the NB voltage to 1.202!

When i had it clocked to 3.75Ghz i used 3dMark06 as a small stresstest. First everything went oke, but then when it came to the CPU stresstest part, my computer Turnd OFF. BOOM

I have a Zalmann Cooler what is not that big but its bether then a StockCooler. Temprature was about so 55C

Can you tell me pls, what for voltage maybe i bether should use and wich Cooler i need.

It boots etc can surf, join TeamSpeak etc but when cpu power realy is needed, my system turns off, as it seems in the stresstest von 3dMark06.

After letting it cool down, i tryed to play a game (CoD:BO) and played about 10minutes, then shutdown.

So i guess i dont have the right cooler pls give me your advice.

Best Regards,

Fry

Last edited:
Glad to see you found it! :)

What are your load core temps like? Download and run OCCT OR Prime95+CoreTemp for about 5 minutes to see how high the temps are under stress. It's difficult to say what to do without knowing what your temps are - and my guess is that's what's making the system unstable.

Your cpuNB speed could be a little faster. The Guide shows 2200 MHz at a CPU speed of 3600 MHz.

3296200220_355e1c017e.jpg

Hi QuietIce,

Well as i wrote the system was running, but it got to hot and now my processor is unstable :( , i know my own fault.

One of the 4 cores i guess blew out, with a smal and short blue-fireburst, but im still running rofl. Cant use AMD-Q&Q, otherwise the system fallsout after booting in windows....

So i will get a new cpu and a GREAT COOLER!!!

Maybe you can tell me, wich Motherboard i should buy, when i have a p2 x4 965 3.4Ghz. And want to pump that up to 4ghz. Maybe wich Cooler too.

Greetz Fry

Getting that CPU to 4.0 GHz isn't going to be easy so you'll need a really good heatsink. I personally like the TRUE Rev.C with a really good fan. There are others with near the same performance but the TRUE has a fairly small foot print compared to others in that class.

http://www.overclockers.com/premium-heatsink-shootout/

For any of those silutions you'll prbably have to upgrade at least the rear case fan while you're at it. Some cases have enough airflow to handle those high-end coolers but most don't.

For a good motherboard you can go with ASUS (M4A89TD, not 89GTD, though that's a good board, too), Gigabyte (890FX-UD5), or Biostar (890FXE, I think?) board. I've heard ASRock and MSI are good, too, but have less information on those.

Hi again,

well the M4A89TD does not support SLI, only crossfire. Or is this just markething stuff to mislead customers? The M4N98TD EVO is cheaper and supports Sli....

I gues in the bios you should still have the same options on overclocking not?

The last MSI MB was for 40 bucks and i could change everything in the bios from my cpu to ram with settings and voltage...

Greetz

Can't tell you what nVidia boards are like anymore. The AMD chipset boards are better at OC'ing, and I have NO interest in SLI or Crossfire, so I just haven't kept up with the nVidia side.

If you're interested in a particular board you can always visit the manufacturer's website and download the manual - that will give you a hint what kind of OC'ing options it has. ;)

I've got my 940 to 3.8Ghz. I can go to 4 but at too high voltage to run 24/7. I can tell you that 55C is the top end absolute. It will stay stable higher than that at stock, but as you go up tolerance drops. I'm using a corsair H50 liquid cooling. Before that 3.6 was as high as it would go and pass stress test. Even though temps stayed below 60C. Mine will take an overclock at 40C that will fail at 45C Temperamental lil buggers.

Back