• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC550's ultimate winchester thread, wish me overclocking luck!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
confuzzedintel said:
I'm sorry but what the hell. You spend half of your time here and half at XS i would think by now you would get it threw your head TCCD is the best performing ram for the winchester right now and your "on-die controller" SHOULD be able to do 300HTT considering 75% of the overclocks on the winchesters will do 300HTT wether it be with a lower multi or not it should still hit it.

async yes, but at 1:1 most unlikley then. I know TCCD is good and I may get tccd but most likley not now but later when I have something like 273x11. I may only consider now if my corsair value wont do at least 217fsb. whats the hurry? tccd isnt going anywhere I dont have to buy it now but later I can.

agreed - im keeping a close eye on this thread to stop me having to ask the same questions, seeing as as soon as i can sell my p4 setup il have an a64 winchester on the way....its been a while since i OC'd an amd system and things have moved on a bit :D

that a64 is gonna be so much faster your head will spin like a top! will you be getting a 3000+ and tccd? If so you may need to hold back your winchester to like 275x9 or run async. You might want a 3200+ for its 10x multi to increase the chance of 1:1 on the ram. However the 3200+ is more than $40 pricier and doesnt seem to oc any better than the 3000+ so I saved me some cash.

well at the moment im undecided on the exact chip - gonna see what cash i get for my p4, and for the moment il be sticking with my ocz pc4000gold - dunno what chips they are but they do 300fsb+ easily

Vrykyl said:
well at the moment im undecided on the exact chip - gonna see what cash i get for my p4, and for the moment il be sticking with my ocz pc4000gold - dunno what chips they are but they do 300fsb+ easily

Vrykyl, I recommend that you make a thread outlining the following:

1. What exactly you want your rig to do (gaming/encoding/etc)

2. How much you want to spend

3. What your target o/c is

4. Whether PCIe is/is not important to you

When I return home I will gladly offer you some advice on your system. I will tell you now, however, that your ram should do fine in an Athlon 64 system, but it may or may not reach the same speeds given that your OCZ Gold is designed for the P4 in mind. So you shouldn't have any problem with your ram, but I'd still recommend some nice TCCD for maximum compatibility.

deception``

OC550, you are losing everyone. I have not seen any proof by you, that the memory controller cannot handle 300+. However, I have seen more than a few posts showing 300, I have seen Oskar Wuu at 350 1:1. Now you keep babbling about the memory controller being limited, but you just haven't produced a single fact.

Fact 1) The clock generator (PLL) has been the limiting factor in high fsb for both intel and amd for years.

Fact 2) Specifically for AMD, high HTT speeds were not capable of happening until a GOOD motherboard was available.

Fact 3) The same chip can hit different max htt speeds on different boards.

Assumption 1) How many 1gb pairs are even capable of 300mhz? It's not so much that the memory controller can't handle them, it's just that there are very few sets capable of 300mhz

Assumption 2) You are correct in saying that the memory controller can be stressed fairly easily, but in max htt, where is this an issue? Raw speed is different from managing lots of sticks.

it upsets me to see that you are online as i type this! you should be deep in the bios right now punk! WE WANT RESULTS!
LOL j/k....kinda....

yes

"I have not seen any proof by you, that the memory controller cannot handle 300+."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

he didn't even have adequate ram to TEST his cpu's mem controller, not even close. all of his talk is based on his wild speculations and has absolutely no basis of fact.

i know just switching to tccd in my rig made a BIG difference in 1/1 runnings.

alas, he is cheap and refuses to spend the extra $50 to do it right, deciding to wallow in some more Corsair Value Select. AGAIN. :bang head

whatever.

baldy :(

Anyway lets stop bitching and stop pushing him to go for TCCD geesh not everyone is made of money. Anyway just forget about TCCD and other stuff OC550. I want to see some pics of 2.6ghz i want to see some sandra and 3dmark benchies common

Ok I will show proof, but first things first:

GSkillPC3200-PC4400MemorytestedonA64S93-jmke-4695.png

I checked the reviews and 75MHz extra ram clocks with keeping the cpu equal only gains 630 marks and this is on a 6800gt too. 550MHz gains 3121 marks. Thus we can infer that the gains are 8.4 marks per MHz higher ram clock and 5.7 marks per cpu MHz. Thus if I get tccd and I am forced to run 280x9=2.52GHz vs. 290x9=2.61 but ram at 236 let me do the math: 90MHz cpu clocks is 513 marks while from 236 to 280 is 44MHz higher on the ram which is worth 370 marks. Thus I would lose 513 marks cause of lower cpu clocks but gain back 370 marks cause of higher ram clocks. Lets do the math what fsb with tccd id need to match 290x9 with my corsair value I got running async. each fsb gains 8.4 marks ramwise and 51.3 marks cpu wise for a total of ~60 marks. 513-370=143 marks so I would need 283fsb 1:1 to be 37 marks ahead of 290fsb async with ram at 236. 282 would be 23 marks behind. My odds of hitting 290fsb 1:1 is very small as proved here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=581864&posted=1#post581864

Charlie, a well known and respected member of XS hit 310 single channel but only 255 dual channel. Others have also gotten around what he got. a lucky few have hit 280-290 dual channel but the odds are very small. I would need 283+ dual channel just to be ahead of corsair value at 290x9 async since my winchester does just over 2.6GHz and the loss of cpu MHz costs you alot. There is a big price difference between my corsair value and TCCD for a slim chance of getting ahead and even if I do get ahead, my gpu is slower than a 6800gt so I will not gain as much as he did. The overall total is 630 marks going 200fsb to 275fsb and thats on a 6800gt. 8.4 marks per MHz on the ram, if I somehow get 290x9 on tccd, it will only be 44fsb or 370 marks on a fast gpu. on my gpu, its probably gonna be a little less, maybe 300 marks or so. When I am already well over 20k marks, I just dont care much about another 300 and if I did, I need only ~65 MHz more on the cpu to gain my 300 marks. 65MHz more is 2.5% boost in performance. Thus if I luck out and hit 290x9 with tccd, I will gain 2.5% overall performance in games and 3dmark. This small gain is most likley not even noticable in games and not even huge in benchmarks either. I would be better off spending my $ on a faster cpu or gpu before I buy tccd ram. Whew I hope I explained myself well and the logic for it :) by the way I checked reviews like this:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=2&artpage=997&articID=254

max oc his ondie controller got him was 275 at ras-cas3 or 285 at ras-cas4(but 285 wasnt 100% stable either) This would make it a waste of $300 for tccd just to sidegrade. I could sell my winchester for $150 and buy more and keep the best one, reselling the others for a $20 loss and theres a good chance ill gain higher cpu clocks if the next winchester ocs better. However I am not going thru winchesters, just stated an example. another thing I could do is sell my softmodded 9500np for like $100 and add another $300 for an x800pro or 6800gt and ill come ahead. tccd and my 9500np isnt gonna be quite as fast as corsair value and a faster gpu, yet both cost the same! my funds are limited so I must choose the best path and right now I simply will wait for prices to drop, stuff to become faster.

I just got some TCCD that runs at 2.5-3-3-10 at 282 fsb 1:1. To be honest, there was MUCH less of an increase than I thought from running at 133:200 at 290X9. (Ram was at like 196, 2-2-2). Even 325X8 at 166:200 2.5-3-3-10 wasn't much of an increase (ram is about 268 then, and same exact mhz)

the only place it really made a huge difference was Sandra. Gaming FPS and Super pi, made very little difference.

So I think all the talk of the HUGE performance hit of async, and running 1:1 is worth huge amounts of cash, etc is a bunch of crap. If you have some decent ram, that will run fairly tight timings at 200, you aren't missing out on much running async.

John

So let me get this right you are saying if i got some A-DATA DDR600 2x256 TCCD ram and threw it in a MSI K8N Neo 2 PE with a 3000+ winchester i wouldnt be able to hit 300HTT because my on die controller can do it?

First people (not you oc550 other people) said Single channle couldnt do it and now they can and now people say duel channle cant do it. I give up.

confuzzedintel said:
So let me get this right you are saying if i got some A-DATA DDR600 2x256 TCCD ram and threw it in a MSI K8N Neo 2 PE with a 3000+ winchester i wouldnt be able to hit 300HTT because my on die controller can do it?

Hitting high HTT has little to nothing to do with the memory controller itself. Rather, it is dependent on 3 things more than anything.

1. The Motherboard. The right motherboard can make all the difference. Also, keep in mind that as you reach higher memory speeds timings become even more important.

2. The actual type of ram itself. If you want such luxurious HTT speeds at 1:1 ratios then it goes without question that you're going to need some great memory.

3. The power supply. It is has been proven many times that a beefy power supply can and will make all the difference in one's overclocking efforts, especially when you raise the HTT on a 1:1 ratio. So if you want to reach high clocks, you're gonna need a good powersuply with at least about 30A on the +12 volt, but also healthy +5 and +3.3 rails. Keep in mind that there is a reason why the most extreme overclocks tend to recommend more extravegant units such as an OCZ Powerstream or a PC Power & Cooling.

deception``

Last edited:
You have a godly ti4200??? and a 9500, which should own games.

newsflash, they won't.

OC550 dont post anything else in this thread unless you post some screenshots etc - its time to put up or shut up. Its rather sad that you would rather spend time trying to justify your decision not to go TCCD rather than show off your overclocking skills. But then again maybe you dont have anything to show off and all your speculation about overclocking, and performance over Newcastles (939 and 754) has proven to be absolute bunkum - and you just cant accept that you were wrong.

OC that was kinda outa hand, i talked to him last night we compard 3dmark01 scores, and his Value ram running @ only 230mhz using timmings like 2-2-2 or something beat my scores on Lobby by 10fps over my 280 using 3-4-4-8. Buying TCCD ram for so much money is wasit when you buy a newvideo card perhaps, use the $300 for a 6800NU or something.

He said he will post pics when he get his other ram.

CandymanCan

to have a truly fair comparison, run your rig with the same settings and timings of OCC550 (230, 2225), then it will be a fair comparison. 2225 is a lot different than 3448, no matter the speed. oh yeah, don't forget to run the same video card too.............

my tccd will run the 275 and 280 @2.5,3,3,7, so maybe if you tightened yours (timings) a little you may have a surprise or two for all of us.

as far as not getting the TCCD ram, that is fine with me, but his claims that he didn't need it (tccd) because his winny won't do the high HTT is FOUNDLESS, because he has NO WAY of TESTING AT ALL, given his luv for Corsair Value........comeon.............

a lot of this stuff happens because of his outrageous claims and, err, projections based on some sort of mathematical calculation that hardly makes sense.. his behavior is way out of the norm.......................................

whatever......... :bang head

baldy

CandymanCan said:
OC that was kinda outa hand, i talked to him last night we compard 3dmark01 scores, and his Value ram running @ only 230mhz using timmings like 2-2-2 or something beat my scores on Lobby by 10fps over my 280 using 3-4-4-8. Buying TCCD ram for so much money is wasit when you buy a newvideo card perhaps, use the $300 for a 6800NU or something.

He said he will post pics when he get his other ram.
Not out of hand more out of frustration! Comparisons such as this are meaningless when:
1. They are merely reported second hand with no supporting evidence
2. They are not compared on a like for like.
Why cant he post pics now - does his existing ram not allow that? lol

Back