• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ 520W or 600W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSonOfX51

Disabled
Ok so Im building my new rig and I cant decide which OCZ Powerstream to go with, the 520W or the 600W? My planned rig is as follows:

Opteron 165 (I will OC the crap out of it)
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500
eVGA 256Mb Geforce 7900GT (Core 580Mhz, Ram 1580Mhz)
D5 Pump
2 SATA Harddrives
2 IDE Harddrives
2 Optical Drives
USB Harddrive
6 fans
UV Lights

Thats it, no PCI cards at all though I may in the future. I also may get another video card to SLI it in the future. Which should I get?

Get the 520. I have it in my system in my sig and it runs great. I believe the downfall to the 600watt is the fact that is had dual 12volt rails.

Yes, the 520 is better because it's a single rail unit. The 600 is dual rail and is not as effective for overclocking.

is OCZ good for just craping out???? i just had a OCZ Modstream 450 blow up on me in my other rig :bang head ... hee hee but the funny thing is. the computer was Off :eek:

RMA Time... hope this 36 mth thing is as ez as they say it is. i hate RMA'ing things.

thing was only 4mths old.

Neo

neo_18 said:
is OCZ good for just craping out???? i just had a OCZ Modstream 450 blow up on me in my other rig :bang head ... hee hee but the funny thing is. the computer was Off :eek:

RMA Time... hope this 36 mth thing is as ez as they say it is. i hate RMA'ing things.

Neo

My unit has run close to the edge for a long time now. I have a few ampers left over for a fan or two. I keep it that close to maxing the unit out. Been that way for over 16 months now.

OCZ will hook you up. They got a good rep for looking out for customers for a reason.

24hrs later i got a RMA number. ill have to see if i have time to get it out today. lets see how long it take to get a new one.

neo

neo_18 said:

Neo

the MODstream units are weaker build quality then the Powerstream series.

Whaaaa.. weaker build quality?

The modstream may not be a powerstream. The build quality is the same. It is the innards that make the powerstream better. The quality of how they are built is the same. Since they are both the same maker and one is for raw power. One is for looks. That is why one has beefier parts inside and one is actually above many units on the market today.

It seems like some think just because it is a modstream, it is poo. Not so, put the modstream up against any run of the mill 450 and I betcha it will be in the top 90 percentile(if not much higher). So I would take a guess it is not to bad in its build quality. I read of more Powerstreams bieng RMA'd then modstreams.

Enablingwolf said:
Whaaaa.. weaker build quality?

The modstream may not be a powerstream. The build quality is the same. It is the innards that make the powerstream better. The quality of how they are built is the same. Since they are both the same maker and one is for raw power. One is for looks. That is why one has beefier parts inside and one is actually above many units on the market today.

It seems like some think just because it is a modstream, it is poo. Not so, put the modstream up against any run of the mill 450 and I betcha it will be in the top 90 percentile(if not much higher). So I would take a guess it is not to bad in its build quality. I read of more Powerstreams bieng RMA'd then modstreams.

sorry what i meant was weaker or less beefier components :bang head . Not a clue why i posted weaker build quality. No more coffee for me today ;)

Sounds like you are low on the caffine. Drink another cup..

The MS450 is not a powerhouse. Though I have put my unit through voltage hell. So far so good. The 5 volt is kind of weak on them though, from my experiance.

Enablingwolf said:
Sounds like you are low on the caffine. Drink another cup..

The MS450 is not a powerhouse. Though I have put my unit through voltage hell. So far so good. The 5 volt is kind of weak on them though, from my experiance.

lol, has the opposite effect on me, mind goes blank...

yeah i own the MS450 PS520, i like the modular part of the MD's but it takes a bow to voltage adjustments on the PS's.

its going to get tested to its max with the new conroe boards and new gpu's coming out later this yr.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
the new gameXstreams are doing really good, they are the same PSU as the Fortrons use. Server build quality...really good stuff. should stand up to nearly anything you throw at it.

yeah but haven't people been finding the original fortrons for cheaper?

>HyperlogiK< said:
yeah but haven't people been finding the original fortrons for cheaper?

the warrenty is what marks the price up a bit. Cant compete with OCZ's warrenty.

well i just got the new one today :eek: ... 48hrs from the time i shipped and a new on in my hands. Fast! :bday: .. and to i sent in a 450w and they gave a brand new ModStream 520w .... meh not bad... hope this one dont blow. its only runing a old XP2000+ 9800 aiw 512 DC ram and 2 hdds 2 fans and thats it, nothing hi-end or hi power. but ill say this was the easiest RMA i have ever done. 4 out 5 for OCZ.

Neo

NODES said:
the warrenty is what marks the price up a bit. Cant compete with OCZ's warrenty.
OCZ is what marks the price up a bit. The warranty is marketing ploy to try to get you to pay that markup. I like a strong warranty where possible, but I've learned hundreds of times over through my personal experience that one should never pay a premium for warranty alone. You simply get better value long-term by buying the components that give you just that--the best value--and living with the warranty they provide. I feel OCZ brings good products to market and supports them well, but it's the products that are the whole point. If they are selling Fortron-based units and you can buy the same design from Fortron, you ought do it.

larva said:
...I like a strong warranty where possible, but I've learned hundreds of times over through my personal experience that one should never pay a premium for warranty alone. You simply get better value long-term by buying the components that give you just that--the best value--and living with the warranty they provide. I feel OCZ brings good products to market and supports them well, but it's the products that are the whole point. If they are selling Fortron-based units and you can buy the same design from Fortron, you ought do it.

Totally Agree!
Buy quality parts = being happy.

Masterwoot how is your Bluestorm holding up with that x1900xt and dually running at such a high speed? When i had my xtx, the 12V rail would drop to under 11.7V (software monitored). I felt like I was going to kill the PSU.

Back