• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official iPhone 5 Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'll spend 2K over the course of a 2 year contract....spend the extra $100 and get the Best phone. :thup:Whether its the iphone or something else. Forget about the money, you can sell the i5 in 3 years and get every penny or more back.

Really!?

Unless contracts and resale value work very differently over there, you will lose money in bucketloads over 3 years. Subsidized phone contracts mean that you pay hand over fist for the phone when you add up the monthly bills and compare them with a SIM only deal.

Secondly, the iPhone 5 isn't much better than the 4S and if the latter does what he wants then he should go for it. Apple tend to support their phones pretty well in terms of software updates and the main attraction of the iPhone is the software side (app selection, lack of fragmentation, long term OS support, etc).

Last edited:
Soo, is the 4s still worth getting? o.o haha I never had a smart phone and it is $100 cheaper than the 5.. I was considering of getting it. thoughts?

Really!?

Unless contracts and resale value work very differently over there, you will lose money in bucketloads over 3 years. Subsidized phone contracts mean that you pay hand over fist for the phone when you add up the monthly bills and compare them with a SIM only deal.

Secondly, the iPhone 5 isn't much better than the 4S and if the latter does what he wants then he should go for it. Apple tend to support their phones pretty well in terms of software updates and the main attraction of the iPhone is the software side (app selection, lack of fragmentation, long term OS support, etc).
According to this post, I assumed Flipsta was buying on contract...So excuse me... So if that's the case my suggestion stands.:-/

If you want to buy a phone with out LTE ...Knock your self out.:shrug:

Most of the Sim only plans are for folks on budgets. After reading post #37 you honestly think the i5 isn't much of an upgrade?? Really?

The fastest hardware on the planet and a 5 year old OS is what matters? C'mon. Nobody cares about fragmentation, buy a new phone once in a while. Everything I ever needed on ios I have on Jelly Bean. That's Rhetoric from 2 years ago. 3GS's may run ios 6 but half the features of it are missing, ios is as fragmented as Android. You can't even run Siri on the i4.

Do you actually own any of this hardware? I think I'm fairly qualified to argue both sides....,as you can see in my sig.(Got the i4 sold tho@$225...;))

Last edited:
Sigh, I don't know if I would quite put it in the realm of the fastest hardware on the planet. The fabrication process is the newest used in a phone though (22nm, IIRC), which means it runs efficient as all hell, and has a great performance/clock ratio. I still think that some of the quad-core variants in other phones would have greater overall performance when it comes to multi-tasking. That said, single application, Iphone5 should take any phone down.*

*Unless the application has been coded to run insanely well on a platform other than iOS.

So o don't understand the difference between 4g and 4g LTE I get 6mb down on regular 4g signal where i live so does my bro with a 4gs how fast is the LTE?

Edit: tonight I'm only getting 5.1 megabits/s tonight

Last edited:
That depends on your network. 4G pretty much equals Hspa+ or 3G and the carriers took the liberty of changing the standards. Which phone are you on?

It sounds like your on At&t folks report speeds typically in the 20's and 40's where there are few LTE users. Its wicked fast, as fast as our home connection in a lot of cases...or faster.

Unfortunately the carriers are about to be saturated with millions of i5's.

T-Mobile and At&t have pretty nice 3G(Faux 4G) speeds in fact T-Mo has doubled their 3G to make it real 4G 40Mb+ theoretical.
Verizon doesn't really have 3G, CDMA is slow enough to be 2G. They put a bigger effort (Out of necessity) to build their LTE in more cities then any one else.

Its pretty confusing, The question may be do you have a use for those speeds.? Streaming audio over Pandora only requires 35Kb. If you upload vids and pics a lot then its really useful.

Last edited:
I'm on a HTC inspire but my bro is on an iPhone 4gs
And holy crap that is fast!!! That's like 3x my home net its 12 I live in bfe ok though lol

Nothing actually reaches true 4G speeds yet. Ignore any manufactuerer claiming 4G, it's just marketing. You really want to look at exactly what type of network they're running. LTE is the fastest out right now, 4G before LTE was AT&T HSPA+, I believe. Like Dfonda said, Verzion's "3G", which is CDMA, is rather slow. T-Mobile is running WiMAX as 4G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

In March 2008, the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector (ITU-R) specified a set of requirements for 4G standards, named the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced (IMT-Advanced) specification, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 megabit per second (Mbit/s) for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[4]
Since the first-release versions of Mobile WiMAX and LTE support much less than 1 Gbit/s peak bit rate, they are not fully IMT-Advanced compliant, but are often branded 4G by service providers. On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed".

Bravo, I did not know that.

Doesn't show up spec wise, but Apple made a huge turn with this new chip. Instead of an off-the-shelf design from ARM, or something similar to one, they put a lot more resources into having a more custom designed chip. As a result, while it doesn't seem like much specs wise, looks like the IPC of this is way higher than any other phone chip out. Says a lot about the future of Apple as well.

Last edited:
Not a massive difference in functionality, its about twice as fast and lots of little things have been tweaked. Its not at all odd that it should sell well, each Samsung Galaxy, Ford Focus and Dell Inspiron tend to sell a lot despite not advancing radically from the previous year's model. What is strange is that there is so much hype generated over what is simply a new years model of an established product.

Only one company is Australia has 4G (telstra) and i am not willing to change to it, they overcharge plans. Still the internet speed (ADSL and Phone) is australia will be similar or same in 3G and 4G, actually my phone on 3G is a bit faster than my ADSL.
I like the earphones
I dont know if anyone noticed but Apple removed the secondary microphone from the top (noise cancellation), lighting port is crappy, mainly because it won't work on non-authorized docks, and since apple wont be releasing any dock anytime soon...

I dont know if anyone noticed but Apple removed the secondary microphone from the top (noise cancellation)

I don't know where on the phone they are placed, but a few of the launch articles which I read mentioned that they had in fact added a second noise cancellation mic and that the performance in noisy environments was noticeably improved as a result.

the second mic was added on 4/4s on top next to headphones jack.
read just now on gizmodo
"The new iPhone now has three microphones, instead of two. One on the front, one on the bottom, and one on the back. The handset also features what Apple calls an “improved speaker design.”"

I pre-ordered the iPhone 5. I currently have a 4S. I'm getting the 5 so that my wife can TEST DRIVE the iPhone (she will be taking my current 4S).

My problem and I need your advice!
-I am on the Verizon 3G unlimited (grandfathered in)
-Should I pay full price for the iPhone 5 to keep my $29.99 unlimited data plan, or should I keep my pre-order? I will be dropped to 2GB/month for $29.99

I did the math and in the 2 years (24 months) to upgrade again the price difference for paying full retail price breaks down to $18.75 extra/month.

What do you guys think? I'm totally afraid of going beyond the weak 2GB/month limit. 5GB would be a little better, but it's like $50 or so. :(

since the unlimited plan i no longer avaliable (or so i heard), i would keep this plan, i already paid $500 extra in internet charges in my last 2 year contract in 3gs. doing math it would cost you $450 extra to keep unlimited plan. that is only worth it if you are using a lot of internet over 3g/4g

since the unlimited plan i no longer avaliable (or so i heard), i would keep this plan, i already paid $500 extra in internet charges in my last 2 year contract in 3gs. doing math it would cost you $450 extra to keep unlimited plan. that is only worth it if you are using a lot of internet over 3g/4g

Unlimited for $29.99 is only available to those that were grandfathered in, but Verizon does not allow you to be grandfathered if you buy a subsidized option with the 2-yr renewal plans on new phones...

if paying $18.75 extre p.m. is acceptable for you and you are going to be using a lot of mobile internet, buy iph5 in store (not on plan) and keep your unlimited plan. BTW, i am in australia so i dont know anything about grandfathering plans xD

I still have a few weeks until mine ships. I'm most excited for the increased speeds and the larger screen. I wish Apple had gone with these options last year since it was available then in other phones, but I guess the wait may have been worth it (will find out soon).

Back