• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, how does this computer look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Captain Newbie said:
An AMD will not push 300FSB at this time. Keep in mind that an Athlon64 is less dependent on frequency and has the onboard RAM controller, reducing latencies.
Well of course it can't reach a 300MHz FSB, as there is no FSB. The HTT on the other hand, can easily hit 300. I had mine up to 320 once just for kicks. You'd get maybe, 2.7-2.8GHz with the A64, and 4.0-4.2GHz with a 3.0c.

wuzzapiman said:
Howbout a 7,500 BTU unit charged with r136a or r404? Yes, I can get a mach II instead of the LE. The NB will be watercooled and mofsets and whatnot aircooled.

I sound like such a n00b because Ive been working with/ overclocking AXPs for the last 2 years. I have no idea how these pentiums work.
its understandable i just came from the land of amd myself.

i suggest buying a used machI and just regassing it with r404 or r507 and save $$$ only differance is the display,you will need a cap tube adjustment also.
http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/
these guys are the bomb at phase change and is where mine came from.
there are other great gasses to use but they know better than me also.

you do sound rather serous about this so 4.5ghz is a possibility but it wont be easy.its my goal also btw but im a few mhz shy atm :)

wuzzapiman said:
CPU = 2.6C cooled by Vapochill LE
Mobo = Abit IC7-G (Canterwood) cooled by water
RAM = 2x512MB OCZ PC4400 cas 3
GFX = X800Pro cooled by 226w peltier on water
HDD = 2xWD 80GB 8MB cache stripped RAID*
Case = the new purdy wave master like coolermaster thingi
CDRW = lite on 48x*

* means i already have it
i also already have the water cooling

my question is, A: is this a good gaming system and 18months futureproof?
B: how high can I overclock this thing?

I would ditch the northwood core if your going to cool with a vapochill... and get a 2.8E prescott- longer pipelines will probably get your 4-4.4 easy.

Buy some good ram from a good company (corsair, OCZ) but dont expect it to be a 1:1 ratio if you push it past 4 ghz.

If you get a x800 or 6800 GT i would say your set for gaming for at least 24 months :)

after more research I think this is fairly final.

CPU - 3000+ Newcastle A64
Mobo - MSI Neo Platinum nforce3 250
RAM - Geil Ultra 2x512MB PC4000 cas 2.5
HDD - 2x 80GB WD 8meg cache in RAID
CD - Lite onn 48x12x48
Video - X800 Pro
PSU - Enermax 460 Watt
Cooling - Prommy Mach 1, r404 charged
VGA cooling - VGA silencer rev3
Case - Lian-Li PC65

Do you plan on doing the 16pipe mod to the X800Pro? If not then get the XT or got for the 6800GT or Ultra, you want all 16 pipes with that rig.

actually u can push an a64 up to 345mhz htt but u have to drop the multiplyer lower. anandtech did that to test the agp/pci locks on the nforce3 150.

"(6) Do I need to run 1:1 memory to achieve peak performance on the Athlon 64?

Not really, given the Athlon 64 architecture and the integrated memory controller, there is no statistically significant advantage to running memory at a 200 setting versus a 166 setting at, for example, around DDR400 speeds. Even at the 200 setting the memory in an Athlon 64 system is running async. The memory speed is arrived at by using a divisor off the Athlon 64 CPU speed (i.e. a /12 divisor.) Also, unlike the Pentium 4, the Athlon 64 is not bandwidth starved; thus, the difference in memory speeds between DDR400 and DDR 500 is at most 1-2%. In other words, don't go crazy and throw away perfectly good PC3200 RAM thinking you'll see a significant boost using DDR500 for example; you won't, and your wallet will hurt."

Does that mean my RAM (PC4000) will be entirely superfluous compared to my PC3200 BH6?

Also, is 15x200 the same as 10x300 on an athlon 64?

Yes to your first question.

And yes to your second, given that the memory is running at the same speeds and latencies in both scenarios.

ahh i get it..and HTT is limited by the processor and cooling?

What about 15x200 mem:200
Vs: 10x300 mem: 300 ?

go with A64 3200+ or 3400+ instead of 3000+. 3200+ comes in both 2.0Ghz 1MB Cache (Clawhammer) and 2.2Ghz 512KB Cache (Newcastle). You should get better overclocks with those. I wouldn't expect huge overclock with AMD even with great cooling your gonna have. maybe 500-600mhz tops!

Current Socket 754 boards just don't overclock like socket 478 does...not even close. but the A64 is more powerfull for certain tasks (ie games).

HT 5x will not work, but 3 and 4x HT on the MSI is good to go. Some boards are having temp sensor reading way off (like mine does) so even with great cooling don't be shocked if temp readings are way off (seems to especially be newcastle core with K8N Neo problem). MSI is working on this with bios update.

just a few pointers :D

Back