• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Operating system question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous51

Registered
Hey guys I am wondering what operating system do you guys use? I have had some negative **** excuse my language with windows 10 and I am wondering should I do the whole switch to Linux thing? I look forward to hearing from you soon thanks in advance Gabe.

What kind of issues are you having with Winderz? Not to be off-putting, but a lot of folks have issues with Winderz that are pretty easy to resolve. Aside from that, there are several flavors of Linux, each with their own benefits and problems, plus the learning curve. Linux also has many benefits, but there are downsides such as gaming (limited), and the integration of some programs is fairly spartan. Also there are some hardware compatibility issues (think AMD graphics drivers). I'd suggest that you look into both solving your Winderz issues and set up a dual boot for a Linux distro and play around with one in order to get a feel for what is available and compare to your computing needs.

I use Windows 10 at home and work. I've not really had a problem with it per se. I've tried various flavors of Linux in the past and it works great "out of the box" for basic internet, printing and office work. Getting video drivers, gaming and sharing a printer between MS and Linux eluded me and caused me to stick with what I know.

I was having issue with windows being very laggy, opening random stuff, not opening the stuff I need etc. Thanks again for the help.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Thanks for the help everyone who replied.

Which version of Winderz are you running? Do you update the OS regularly? Virus scan? Do you have the latest MB drivers? Have you checked the volumes on your HDDs (maybe they're getting full?). Also check what background apps are running as that can impact your throughput (this is often a problem).

A lot of guys run both windows and linux. It's merely a matter of money for the hardware and/or time one wants to spend. There are some extremely talented individuals on these forums who get paid to fix stuff. Network IT's are in high demand the world over, (good ones that is).

Run what works for you. You need to realize that, no matter which OS you run, (Win/Linux/Mac) you will run into issues. So there is no silver bullet operating system.

Lagginess and random opening of apps in Windows can usually be corrected if you take the time to hunt (or just ask) for the needed info. And even though there are several flavors of linux that just work out of the box (even for gaming now), you will still need to learn new muscle memories for how to do/find things.

If a few niggles is enough to send you looking for a new OS, I'm not sure you will ever find one that satisfies. So hunt around for the one that has the fewest niggles for how you like to work and go for it. Learn the system and how to tweak/repair it. It will be well worth it!

Good Luck

~DWolf

Use all the way, Windows if you use it every day.
The learning of Linux is quite steep.
You would slip down if there is nobody to hold your hand all the way.

I use Open SUSE, and it is the best Linux according to me.
I say this because I like YaST.

Back