• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions... 200gb maxtor,western digital,or seagate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would go with Seagate. They have a 5 year warrenty. I used to be a big believer in Maxtor but recently all of my drives just upped and died, 60 gig,30 gig, 80gig and 2x120 gigs; one by one they went like flies.

I have had a maxtor 200gig ide for almost a year and its quiet but I had a problem with it about 6 months ago, I had it set with 2 100gig partitions and one of them up and disapeared. I tried everything to get it back but ended up having to re partition the entire drive to a 200gig. Have not had a single problem since (Knock on wood) If I were to buy another it would be a seagate. The last few drives I got have been seagates and I like them.

violineb said:
I've killed two Maxtors and let's not even get into IBM's old drives. I currently use WDs in all my PCs. No problems ever. Though it seems now that most of the drives are the same. I'd still stick with WD or perhaps Seagate because of their warrenty.

That's my way of thinking now. WD or seagate. Strange thing is WD has a louder motor whine than Seagate.

I have 2 200gb Seagates running in raid 0... they're great drives. After installing them, I really couldn't notice that i had 2 more drives running. Probably because their quieter than my 80gb WD and 120gb Maxtor. And the Seagates take up less volume (just a tad smaller) than my WD and Maxtor.

They're excellent drives and I haven't had any problems with them so far

i build systems everyday and i see alot of dead WD's and Maxtors. But Seagates are like tanks they make it through anything. Two big thumbs up for seagate

I would rule out Maxtor for sure... As for Seagate Vs WD, I know my Seagate 120GB IDE can get toasty without a fan blowing on it, I'm not sure about the WD.

I would go with SEAGATE, I've had 4 200gig Maxtors "SATA" that I could NOT get to raid 1 witout it breaking and NOT being able to rebuild. This was even with a PCI sata with newest bios -drivers. I even tried replacements, after a 4th failure I bought 2 SEAGATES-- $20 more each but I've had NO PROBLEMS SINCE!!! Thank you seagate.

RP Racing said:
Had good luck with my 2 WD (80 and 120) over the last 2 yrs in my case.

same setup I have, but I am also considering replacing my 80gb with a seagate 200 just for the warranty. still pondering though.

I also have been eyeing the 200gb seagate. I have a 7200rpm 80gig seagate that I am very happy with. I often run it nonstop with horrible cooling conditions and it been running like a charm for three years.

which is quieter? seagate or maxtor?

from my dealings with WD, maxtor and IBM RMA, maxtor was a 4 day turn around. I received my replacement (which was bigger) in a week and WD took 2 weeks with IBM taking over 3 weeks. Never had seagate.

noxipoo said:
which is quieter? seagate or maxtor?

from my dealings with WD, maxtor and IBM RMA, maxtor was a 4 day turn around. I received my replacement (which was bigger) in a week and WD took 2 weeks with IBM taking over 3 weeks. Never had seagate.

Seagate hands down between the 2. Every maxtor I owned was a beast in noise compared to the 2 seagates I have now. Infact I chose Seagate because of their quiet reputation and the 5 year warrenty.

Definately consider the Hitachi 7k250 series. I am not a fanboy, but know a good product when I see one. I've installed 20+ into different systems, and have yet to have one come back. Storagereview considers these the fastest 7200rpm drives around. As far as sound, I cannot hear them above the typical fan noise.

You really cannot go wrong with any of your choices. WD has always been fast and reliable for me, as has Seagate. Maxtor has left a sour taste, after 8GB of MP3's and misc storage was trashed several months ago in a random drive failure.

hitachi may be a good choise but i dont know em, just read that they are supposed to do good. From my own experience i'd say seagate, these 7200.7 drives are fast miracles of silence and coolness. Hail seagate! _o_

Wd Max

I have both, there isn't really that much of a difference... I got 4 WD 200SATA in Raid 0, they all work pretty good. =) I'm pretty sure ur not gonna find that big of a noticeable difference betweent them both.

p.s. the 400 SATAs are out!!

Rock On....

Sjaak said:
hitachi may be a good choise but i dont know em, just read that they are supposed to do good. From my own experience i'd say seagate, these 7200.7 drives are fast miracles of silence and coolness. Hail seagate! _o_

I'm not going to bash Seagate, but I have a 120GB 7200.7, and without any fans on it, it can get hotter than my CPU :attn: . (CPU average at 45 idle, half load, hard drive can reach 48 easy).

Back