• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please note you are only bidding on a picture of a PS3, and not an actual system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_Emptor

If the buyers would take a moment to actually read the auction description, rather than just hitting the bid button things like this wouldn't happen, and slime like the seller wouldn't get away with it.

I doubt the auction will be honored. I'm quite sure that it'll be pulled and the buyer will not have to pay.

I agree....but it's horrible that, in this world, we have to be more aware of the criminals and take measures to protect ourselves from them instead of just stopping/eliminating the criminals in the first place.

I doubt if I'd fall for that...but if I did, you can bet I wouldn't feel obligated to honor my bid, contract or not. If any law says differently, it's wrong and I'm right, plain and simple. There'd be chargebacks, regardless of who gets screwed, the seller or eBay...either one would be deserving of it, as long as it wasn't me.

b1029384756 said:
I doubt if I'd fall for that...but if I did, you can bet I wouldn't feel obligated to honor my bid, contract or not. If any law says differently, it's wrong and I'm right, plain and simple. There'd be chargebacks, regardless of who gets screwed, the seller or eBay...either one would be deserving of it, as long as it wasn't me.

what about reading a description

Lionsault_100 said:
what about reading a description

Like I said, I doubt I'd fall for that, but if I missed it, it doesn't matter that it was in the description, it's clearly intended to deceive, which gives the buyer license to do as he wants, regardless of who says otherwise.

Yeah, that's why i haven't reported that one, because it does clearly state it's a picture...it doesn't try to hide it with confusing sentences and other things like the other auctions do.

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A PICTURE OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 VIDEO GAME NOT THE ACTUAL SYSTEM

THIS IS A GREAT AUCTION FOR THOSE LIKE ME WHO CANT AFFORD TO BUY THE REAL THING

PLEASE READ AUTION DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY NO REFUNDS

I WILL EMAIL YOU A PICTURE OF THE PLAYSTATION 3

FREE DIGITAL DELIVERY

PAYPAL ONLY PLEASE
OMG that's hilarious!
xxrotflmao.gif

damarble said:
Your analogy falls short. In your case the seller wilfully concealed the defect. The PS3 picture seller plainly stated his intent. That is akin to the car seller hiding all the defects then telling you about them right before you agree to terms. In both instances you can walk away when the red flag comes up.

Even if that's the case my opinion remains unchanged. If you can't understand the language of the contract you should seek the help of somebody that does, or walk away. Again, ignorance is not an excuse.

I'm with him. I don't see what's wrong with it, it blatantly states that you are bidding on a picture. It could not be any clearer. If you don't know what you're bidding on, you shouldn't be bidding, plain and simple. It's an ******* plot from the seller, but really, if you're stupid enough to fall for that, you deserve to be exploited. Personally, I'd probably do it just for kicks, to see how ignorant people can really get.

SolidxSnake said:
I'm with him. I don't see what's wrong with it, it blatantly states that you are bidding on a picture. It could not be any clearer. If you don't know what you're bidding on, you shouldn't be bidding, plain and simple. It's an ******* plot from the seller, but really, if you're stupid enough to fall for that, you deserve to be exploited. Personally, I'd probably do it just for kicks, to see how ignorant people can really get.

How do you feel about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PS3-60GB-PR...goryZ187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How blatant is the description there? I had to look over it a few times to find where it said it was only a picture.

Let's think of your grandma getting on eBay to pick you up a PS3 for Christmas. Are you going to call her a sucker because she fell for this?

^ Check out the Q and A section, this is fraud hands down -
he might as well list a ps3 and not send anything at all

this auction is describing a PS3,

"this brand new ps3 60gb in box picture is amazing." Could that mean picture is amazing like the picture on a plasma tv is amazing?

BTW, the auction noted in the OP is now gone....so I'd guess that the buyer got a lil upset and complained to eBay.

Hopefully the buyer will get the money back if they ever sent it. I only wish that when they removed the auction, the charges for the auction weren't also removed. That way at least the scumbag seller would have to pay the ~$50 in fees.

Lionsault_100 said:
^ Check out the Q and A section, this is fraud hands down -
he might as well list a ps3 and not send anything at all

this auction is describing a PS3,

"this brand new ps3 60gb in box picture is amazing." Could that mean picture is amazing like the picture on a plasma tv is amazing?

Yeah that's where he screwed up. He came close to sidestepping the question. But the question was "do you have the receipt for this item" And the answer "Yes, I have a reciept for the playstation 3"

This time I can feel sorry for the buyer because of the level of deception. The seller went out of his way to disguise the truth and make it confusing, unlike the OP's example where it was plainly laid out.

Last edited:
jivetrky said:
BTW, the auction noted in the OP is now gone....so I'd guess that the buyer got a lil upset and complained to eBay.

Hopefully the buyer will get the money back if they ever sent it. I only wish that when they removed the auction, the charges for the auction weren't also removed. That way at least the scumbag seller would have to pay the ~$50 in fees.

I dont know if i agree on this logic.

while i agree the seller should get screwed, why should ebay make money on this?

well yeah, didn't really think about that. I guess I wouldn't really want eBay to get that money. I was only thinking of the seller having to pay a penalty of sorts....wasn't thinking about to whom it was going.

jivetrky said:
man I cannot believe you guys are almost condoning these actions. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind when I browse and sell here in the classifieds.

I never once said I condone these actions. I'm just saying the buyer holds some responsibility too.

If ebay wasn't such a joke they would police themselves better and this auctions would never surface. But fraudulent auctions are a reality and that's the risk you take buying on ebay. Caveat Emptor.

jivetrky said:
How do you feel about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PS3-60GB-PR...goryZ187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How blatant is the description there? I had to look over it a few times to find where it said it was only a picture.

Let's think of your grandma getting on eBay to pick you up a PS3 for Christmas. Are you going to call her a sucker because she fell for this?

Seeing as how it said "Brand new in box PS3 PICTURE!" kinda tipped it away for me. You wouldn't be listing an actual PS3 with "PICTURE!" in the title, wouldya?

My remaining grandma wouldn't even be able to read the auction... Language barrier ftw... The Altzheimers wouldn't help either

^- That one, first sentence (as well as heading) says it's only a photo. Sure it's misleading, but really, it's the buyers fault in the end. I'm not really saying I condone them, but I don't look down on 'em either. Let 'em do what they want, not my problem.

Back