• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible PSU option for custom build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catkicker

Recently I aquired a SR-2 MB. With a pair of Xeon 5690’s on it. It was shipped to me in a supermicro 4U box
2ylogus.jpg

I have a 1200 watt silverstone I could use for the build
But I was thinking about the 1400 watt redundent system in the Supermicro case
Basically 1400 watts x 2 there rated at 80 plus gold.
Only possible detracter I have seen so far is noise issue with this type of pwersupply. I think it would be fairly easy to add some additional shielding to prevent interference with other electronics.
Any thoghts, personel experiences would be helpful.

I mean, you arent using half of 1200w... so why go higher?

You can use that 1400w redundant psu, no foul really. Me, id sell them both, get a 1000w psu and save/spend the money leftover.

Shieldimg shouldnt be needed.

Do you need the redundancy?

Surplus server PSUs generally don't go for very much, probably not even worth the hassle of selling them unless you truly have a lot to get rid of. I would say that if you already have them and they work, use them.

Redundency is not a big concern. Things I like these are switching psu’s 1100watt - 1400 watt. I also like there dimensions
76 x 40 x 336mm each they would fit nicely in the bottom of my case.
Custom pau shroud and i can mount the 2 SSD’s on top of shroud

The setup will fit and looks pretty clean
v5fz4h.jpg
Untill you connect the power distribition board
k3ofgh.jpg
Now it’s a mess

OP mentioned he didn't like the noise of the existing PSUs. That was one motivation for considering changing that component.

Indeed. But, that isn't for us to decide if he can tolerate those screaming 40mm fans inside. Clearly there is waffling and a decision needs to be made by the OP. Not much we can do here honestly... its all subjective.

OP mentioned he didn't like the noise of the existing PSUs. That was one motivation for considering changing that component.

I was talking about what I had read about these units, the noise I'm referring to is the interference/static on other electronics these PSU's can cause and that shielding can eliminate or reduce it

Indeed. But, that isn't for us to decide if he can tolerate those screaming 40mm fans inside. Clearly there is waffling and a decision needs to be made by the OP. Not much we can do here honestly... its all subjective.
Actually the noise level from the small fans located on the PSU's is not bad. I had to actually look at them to see if they were working. Under a heavy load might be a different story. 17-377-048-03.jpg

Basic Specs.
EVGA SR-2
2 x Xeon 5690’s
Going with 6x8 gigs of mem.
2 x GTX1070Ti or GTX980
2 x 1tb. SSD’s
Watercooling
Monsta 420 Rad.
2 x Alphacool Eisbaer (Solo)
7 x140mm fans
2 x 230mm
I have some raptors that I may add in for a raid10 array