• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powering a 172w peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LozIn

Registered
I bought from dangerden a 172w pelt !

Imax = 11.3 Amps

Qmax = 172 Watts

Vmax = 24.6 Volts

Delta Tmax = 69 (C)

Size = 40mm X 40mm X 3.2mm

It seems to be one of the best! anyway! I am thinking about powering it with a Leadman 400W PSU !

115V/230V 10A/6A 60/50Hz/, DC Output: +3.3v 28A, +5v 30A, +12v 25A, -5v 0.3A, -12v 0.8A, +5Vsb 2.0A.

I know that the pelt is rated for 24v but this psu is also good with 12v @ 25A ! My friends told me that the pelt at 12v will only draw ~120w!! Can This be true? Or this Psu will just satisfy my pelt wattage??

although the pelt is rated for 24V is runs at it's best at 15v (i think) and yes it will only produce 120W at 12v. you could try connecting the ground to -5 to produce 18V or the -12 to produce 24v but i don't know the Ampage produced.

the overclocker said:
you could try connecting the ground to -5 to produce 18V or the -12 to produce 24v but i don't know the Ampage produced.

I wouldn't recommend this setup, I'm not an expert, but I don't beleive the PSU is designed for that kind of mod. It could lead to instabillity if you overload the negative side, or it could cause damage to the PSU.

As far as the pelt goes, I don't think your going to get particularly good results powering with your 12 Volt. Most pelt manufacturers give graphs of how well the pelt runs at lower voltages. You will probably want to get a separate 24 volt PSU... You could probably even make your own if you can find a transformer with the right specs.

yeah you´re right I can end up blowing and damaging my psu!

So I spent a bunch of money in a 172w pelt and It only draws 120w?? Too bad! What about if I make that dual Psu mod with 2 Leadman 400W Psu ?? I can buy another one with time! Do you know if the pelt wattage will be higher?

That leadman psu won't supply enough voltage for a 24.6 volt pelt to run properly and will only give you around 80-85 watts of cooling power at 12 volts, max. You really need to get a 24 volt psu to power it; I'm using a Meanwell SP300-24 for pelt power, which will handle a 172 watt pelt.

The price can vary quite a lot. Search the different auction pages, as well as used equipment pages. You'd be surprised what you can come up with. Unless you are real lucky, don't expect to fine a 24V power supply with enough current to run that peltier, for less than $50.00

A few days ago Dissolved stumbled upon one on Ebay. It wound up going for $37.50. That's what I consider "real lucky"! If you buy a new one, be prepared to pay from $100-$200.00 for a quality 24V power supply. That's the problem with the 24V Peltiers. New and Used 12V power supplies go for much less. You'd be better off running a pair or 12V 90W units. Also, should one of them fail, your CPU won't go nuclear quite as fast and you may be able to save it.

Hoot

12 volts will cut the capacity of your pelt in half. Also, 15 volts is not the optimum for a 172 watt pelt. The optimum voltage depends on the heat load from the CPU and your cooling systems ability to remove the heat from the pelt and the CPU. You can play with the Kryotherm Pelt
Software
to get an idea of how this works. Software modeling is not ideal. The only way for you to know what works best is to adjust the pelts voltage when it's in your system.

Dedicated Power Supplies

TE Tech

Peak to Power

Melcor

Jameco

And my personal favorite, the mighty Astron VLS 35M

You are welcome to my Astron but even used, it's not cheap.

Back