• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Preorder: S939 Opteron 144 (Diego 3000+ *1.8ghz*) @ $153 @ Axcent Micro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
WTF does this CPU do... I dunno about anything but regular desktop CPUs :(

g0dM@n said:
WTF does this CPU do... I dunno about anything but regular desktop CPUs :(
These are the new S939 Opterons that work in *any* S939 board :) They are locked but at the price how can you argue?

EvilCloudStrife said:
what do you mean locked? surely they cant lock the FSB (HTT) do you need ecc or registered ram for these?
Hardlocked ah-la Intel (the multiplier) :( As for RAM requirements its an S939 through and through. No ECC / Reg required

Sweet deal, I am thinking about getting one of these and a nice refurb board from chief value so I can put together a good 64 system for a little over $200. Is there any disadvantage to getting the opteron over the regular A64?

Sentential said:
Hardlocked ah-la Intel (the multiplier) :( As for RAM requirements its an S939 through and through. No ECC / Reg required
Correction: Ive been informed that Optys are unlockable downward :)

what is this:
offered in three series: the 100 series (1-way), the 200 series (1 to 2-way), and the 800 series (up to 8-way)

Sorry for the newbish type question, haven't been follow this much...

You compared the price of this to the 3700+ Sandy, is that because they overclock similar?

Finally got a chance to start working on my 3000+ Venice tonight, and results are somewhat dissappointing, but working on it, might have to grab one of these and try it out though...

Well, Sen, you made me buy it! I did ground shipping and it came to $158.15.

I got it from techonweb.com

arnt opterons aimed towards dual-cpu setups and servers? how would this perform in games compared to a san diego or even a venice. i dont want to waste my money on something i dont need ;)

Sentential said:
Correction: Ive been informed that Optys are unlockable downward :)

Same as any other athlon 64 (and the higher-end semprons).

EvilCloudStrife said:
arnt opterons aimed towards dual-cpu setups and servers? how would this perform in games compared to a san diego or even a venice. i dont want to waste my money on something i dont need ;)

Clock for clock it performs the same as a san diego. (because it is)

EvilCloudStrife said:
so basicly this is a speedbinned sandy 3700+ that didnt cut it to 2.2ghz or what?

No. No speed binning ones that didn't make the cut. Just opteron. These are good chips.

EvilCloudStrife said:
so basicly this is a speedbinned sandy 3700+ that didnt cut it to 2.2ghz or what?

Actually these chips passed MUCH more stringent testing then the regular non opteron San Diego chips. They had to pass much harder tests to be let loose for 24/7 server uses.

Thats why these have been seen clocking so well.

Wardog

EDIT
LOL I wrote testes instead of tests hahaha

Back