• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with OC QX9650 @ 3,8 ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDtje

Hello Overclockers,

This is my first post because I'm having trouble with my rig.

I'll try and describe as good as possible the problem.

1) System specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650
CPU Cooler: Thermalright 120 Ultra Black + 72mm fan
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
RAM: Corsair 4 GB DDR2 800 Mhz (TWIN2X4096-6500C5) (2 sticks running in dual channel)
Case: Antec 300 with 2 intake fans, 1 big outtake fan and 1 back fan.
Power supply: Corsair TX-750 (750 Watt)
Videocard: EVGA GTX285 Superclocked 1 GB
Bootdrive: WD Raptor 74 GB
Storage drives: Seagate 300 GB, WD Black 750 GB, WD Black 1 TB
DVD-RW: Plextor PX-760
DVD-ROM: Plextor PX-130
Speakers: Cambridge Fourpoint Surround System
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G7 Cordless
Monitor: Iiyama Prolite E2607WS

2) Problem

I have build this system mainly for gaming. I just want my games to play smooth and fast. So I decided to OC my CPU. Also because this OC won't bottleneck my GTX285.

When I play with my OC settings my games crash during gameplay.
It mostly happens after 1 hour or more. Games I play now are Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1. I even can let it crash in Windows 7.
I think it crashes when I hit my tower (not on purpose, but my tower is placed underneath my desktop. It is placed on a holder so it does not touch the ground. The holder sometimes shakes when I'm gaming (and mostly then my PC freezes)
But I don't think this is the problem. I already checked cables.

Strangly it does not happen on stock, not even when I knock on my tower.
I tried but I couldn't recreate the problem. I'll try even more to ensure this is not the case.

UPDATE: The problem indeed happens even when all settings are back to stock. So I guess my OC is not the problem.

Now I hear you saying your OC is not stable. Well I thought it also until I stressed my PC.

Prime95 Blend test: Stable for 12 hours!
OCCT Large Data Pack: 7 hours stable!
Memtest: 4 hours with no errors!

I can do a Prime95 small FFT test to ensure my CPU is stable.
I'll let you know what the outcome is.

3) My OC settings

CPU Ratio Setting = 10.0
FSB Frequency = 380
PCIE Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge = 333
DRAM Frequency = DDR2-761 Mhz
DRAM Timing Control = Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Enabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
MEM OC Charger = Disabled
Ai Clock Twister = Auto
Ai Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = 1.35v
CPU GTL Reference = Auto
CPU PPL Voltage = 1.54v
FSB Termination Voltage = 1.28v
DRAM Voltage = 1.90v
NB Voltage = 1.32v
SB Voltage = 1.20v
PCIE Sata Voltage = 1.50v

Load Line Calibration = Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
CPU Clock Skew = Auto
NB Clock Skew = Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized

4) What I already tried

I tried different drivers of nvidia but the problem stays.
I check my power cable and I even replaced it with another.

If anyone could send me in the right direction to fix this problem, I will be very grateful.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
did you check the ground on your case?

Well I have to admit I live in a fairly old house, which has old electricity lines.
The ground is not good which means if I put in all my cables in my case, the back of my case is under low power. If you touch it, you feel electricity going through your body. So actually the case is always under power but only at the back. The front,the top and the sides are not under power.

I'm not sure if this is the problem. I can do the test by putting my case back on the ground and see if that fixes the problem.

I also gonna open my case to see if there is any component hanging loose.
Or which component fails when the case takes a hit or a schock.

I also gonna try to make the holder a bit more schockproof by trying to put a belt on the other side so the holder hangs on two sides instead of just one.

When I get home, I'll update this topic with the results.
I can tell you, this really is a annoying problem.
Specially if you are far in a game and want to save but then your whole system hangs ...

......you can actually feel electricity if you touch the back of your case?

that is just asking for trouble man....is it like this throughout your house for all electrical outlets/appliances?

......you can actually feel electricity if you touch the back of your case?

that is just asking for trouble man....is it like this throughout your house for all electrical outlets/appliances?

Thanks for your answer.

I do feel electricity on the back of my case but it is really low.
Before I bought a new desk my case was also under power but stood under my desk in a wooden holder. I never had any problems back then because the desk didn't move my case.

Games didn't crash back then, sometimes they did but that was because i didn't had a stable overlock.

To come back on the electricity... I was told that my case is under power because the ground is just bad. For some reason the power does not go directly in the ground to the earths core. The grounding cable wasn't attached at first but my girlfriends father attached it again but the result stays the same.

Now he did tell me that this wouldn't be a problem and the people before us also had this problem.

I think it applies to all electrical outlets throughout the house.
The house is from 1936 so that quite old and the electricity never has been replaced. That's also not really possible unless we break out all the floor and walls.

I can ask him again if he want to look at it again. It should be fixable....

Sorry if I don't reply instantly because I'm from belgium and it's about 9 hours difference.

raise your cpu voltage at 1.40 reboot and go see in the hardware monitoring in the bios if the cpu voltage is really at 1.4v
becose my rig tell me 1.40 but im at 1.38v so i raise it to 1.42 to get 1.40
1.40 for my QX9650 is where i get stabily at 4 ghz
just look all voltage if they are really at what you set it

and your gtl ref shound not be at auto i put mine at x0.63
cpu and nb clock skrew should not at auto find what is the best for your rig and clock skrew should be the same for cpu and nb for me it 300ms

Last edited:
Back