• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with service packs for xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpyderMatrix

why cant i get the service pack for winxp pro it says invalid cd key but i dont think that i got bad copy i spent $200 when it came out i mean this sucks

Another member had this problem when SP1 first came out. He called MS, and it turned out he had a corrupted file.
Try doing a repair install and then try the service pack again. Installing SP1 on an old installation is asking for problems. Right after a clean install is best, after a repair install is second best.

Dealing with MS on this stuff really isn't bad, surprisingly; I've had to do it a few times due to reinstalling XP on my craptop- oops, I mean laptop ;), putting .Net beta on some equipment and installing Office XP on my desktop (per eula.)

Wait time is usually less than 10 minutes, and the phone reps are ok.

rogerdugans said:
Dealing with MS on this stuff really isn't bad, surprisingly; I've had to do it a few times due to reinstalling XP on my craptop- oops, I mean laptop ;), putting .Net beta on some equipment and installing Office XP on my desktop (per eula.)

Wait time is usually less than 10 minutes, and the phone reps are ok.

Same over here, they are quite helpful when it comes to XP. Guess the heaps of money go SOMEwhere.....but still...........

they say i have invald cd key too but i bought legal copy i dont understand this crap ms is stupid

SpyderMatrix said:
they say i have invald cd key too but i bought legal copy i dont understand this crap ms is stupid

I doubt that entirely. curb this conversation please.

wait a minute i am a respected business man and as for that i refuse to be told you doubt my legal copy as i bought if from newegg and they would not sell me an illegal copy of XP please dont downgrade my brain or my morals

SpyderMatrix said:
wait a minute i am a respected business man and as for that i refuse to be told you doubt my legal copy as i bought if from newegg and they would not sell me an illegal copy of XP please dont downgrade my brain or my morals

Forgive me, but in a usual sense 2+2 equals 4. That is not the case here. If you could prove you owned that copy then microsoft would fix the situation. it appears you have talked to them and they still believe it to be invalid.

This can happen when Xp is installed on someone else's machine, and they register. I know I don't have to call and re-activate, because I always register, with same addy.

if only i didn't format so much :rolleyes:

lol i agree formating sucks but i dont thinks its illegal unless someone at newegg messed up in that case i will email them and find out what i can do as its not my fault i hate to do this as it sounds like i want to rma it but if i cant install a service pack becuase of an invalid cd key its not my fault

SpyderMatrix said:
lol i agree formating sucks but i dont thinks its illegal unless someone at newegg messed up in that case i will email them and find out what i can do as its not my fault i hate to do this as it sounds like i want to rma it but if i cant install a service pack becuase of an invalid cd key its not my fault

Newegg is usually pretty good about helping out on things like this. If that doesn't work, i'd get ahold of a super @ MS and complain until it's straightened out.

its taken care of i called newegg and after waiting like 5 min they dialed up msn did a three way call and i got a new cdkey and they are sending me a new disc as well so thanks guys

Back