• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project plex server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you have the latest version of the PLEX server? It’s supposed to take advantage of nvidia cards for hardware accel.

Also GPU load will probably be very low or zero. It will use the NVENC hardware chips not the GPU core. There might be something under GPUz called “video engine load”

Do you have the latest version of the PLEX server? It’s supposed to take advantage of nvidia cards for hardware accel.

Also GPU load will probably be very low or zero. It will use the NVENC hardware chips not the GPU core. There might be something under GPUz called “video engine load”

Yeah it's the latest version, also a plex subscriber as well. I'll have to check in GPUz because I've only looked on taskmanager and it said 2%. It was still using a ton of CPU cycles as well.

I need to look further, but I might know the reason.

Your i9 doesn’t have an iGPU right?

The verbiage of the Plex docs about hardware accel seems to imply that it only works on discrete GPUs if your CPU supports intel quick sync, which it won’t without an iGPU. Why it would work this way I have no idea.

Interesting, thanks for asking the question on the forum. Looks like it does work for me, and takes a good amount of load off the CPU. Interestingly the video engine load is only like 30% while doing so. Looks like I could have probably gotten away with just a 8700k...

Well nvidia limits you to 2 streams. I think you could get more running a Quadro card though.

If you ever end up transcoding more than 2 streams, the CPU power is a good fallback. And then again, for certain video codecs that aren’t supported by the NVENC chip.

And software (CPU) will have better video quality.

Yeah I forgot nvidia limited the amount of streams, pretty funny. I am happy with this little 7920x though, it fills both roles of a gaming system and plex box without issue.

Back