• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 + bsel mod = reboots at XP loading screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muhuhuh

I posted this in the original 1333mhz bsel mod sticky thread, but maybe this'll get a quicker answer.

I have a Q6600 (Inspiron 530, Foxconn g33m02 mobo, 3GB PC6400 RAM) and just tried both methods of putting electrical tape over just the one bsel pad, then over both pads with the tape touching (and making sure not to cover any of the other pads) and the it gets passed post but either

a) reboots during the Windows XP bootup splashscreen or
b) Kernel panics in Fedora Linux.

I have g0 q6600 according to CPU-z. Anyone got any ideas?

check this. make sure you're taping the right one

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58361

Yeah, I read that thread in particular. Thanks, though!

Maybe because I don't have any thermal paste and just using the old paste on it (I made doubly sure not to touch the paste on either the heatsink or the cpu. Could it be that it's getting up to a certain point and then crapping out because it overheats instantaneously upon trying to boot-up windows? Or is there something else that might be wrong?

Just trying to cover all the bases of things I can try to troubleshoot it. I've read threads saying they've used the stock Intel HSF and with the Inspiron 530, so it shouldn't be impossible.

Is that a typo or are you using 3GB of RAM (2x1GB and 2x512MB)?

Nope, no typo. Dell actually sells it in that configuration for that particular offer (I think I paid $460 total for the system).

Buying some Antec Reference Silver paste today at the local PC shop to see if heat (or perhaps gaps in the old paste) is the problem.

nevermind my previous post

Have you tried using only 1 stick of RAM? It could be your mobo is having trouble with the OC and 4 sticks. Worth a try.

nevermind my previous post

Have you tried using only 1 stick of RAM? It could be your mobo is having trouble with the OC and 4 sticks. Worth a try.

I'll try isolating one ram stick at a time. Worth a try, anyway. Thanks! Didn't think it would make a difference if they're all (according to CPU-Z, anyway) pc2-6400 ram.

Just in case anyone's curious though, here's my CPU-Z memory info:

Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes
Memory Frequency 399.0 MHz (2:3)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 6.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 512 MBytes, MOSEL
Module 3 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Module 4 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 512 MBytes, MOSEL

I'll try isolating one ram stick at a time. Worth a try, anyway. Thanks! Didn't think it would make a difference if they're all (according to CPU-Z, anyway) pc2-6400 ram.

Just in case anyone's curious though, here's my CPU-Z memory info:

Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes
Memory Frequency 399.0 MHz (2:3)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 6.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 512 MBytes, MOSEL
Module 3 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Module 4 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 512 MBytes, MOSEL

It shouldn't be the RAM itself since as you say it is PC2-6400 but it may be that your board has a problems running all 4 memory slots while overclocked, who knows it is worth a try. *If* this happens to be the problem you could consider updating your BIOS. Another thing you could do is get yourself a hold of Memtest 86+ boot cd and try running it before you get into Windows and check for any memory errors if it does happen to run.

New thermal paste would be a plus.

Can you set the memory to a lower divider just to make sure it's not the memory chips themselves having issues?

New thermal paste would be a plus.

Can you set the memory to a lower divider just to make sure it's not the memory chips themselves having issues?

No can do. Dude, I've got a Dell :( Locked down BIOS.
It was a cheap deal and I caved. It is what it is.

I'll try what I can (maybe running a trace over bsel and vcc with circuit ink or conductive windsheidl defroster repair pen could do it. I just don't feel like doing something THAT hardcore until I've used it at least a few more weeks (I just got the thing 2 days ago!).

Thanks for the help all!

Back