• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about chargers - amps, volts and watts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

I need a replacement charger for the wife's HP Pavilion 15-ab226na, which is a 45w 19.5v 2.31a, and I found one on Amazon with 65w 19.5v 3.33a for the same price as the original. Is the difference in Amps going to be a problem or is it a good thing ?

Old:

Ac adapter power: 45w
Power output: 19.5v 2.31a
Power input: 100-240v

New:

Ac adapter power: 65w
Power output: 19.5v 3.33a
Power input: 100-240v

Pass CE / FCC / RoHS. over-charging/over-heated/over-current/over-voltage/short-circuit/over-discharger protection.

I'm curious to see what everyone else says because everyone else is probably smarter and righter, but...

I can say from personal experience with older laptops (C2D Era) that all you needed to match was the voltage and the connection on the laptop. I have seen some that act up with a non-oem charger (no charging lights but the battery still fills).

In theory the higher amperage should just give you a faster fill on the battery, but I would worry that newer systems may detect a non-oem psu, or worse yet be sensitive to differences in amperage.

that's the long way of saying : subbed :D

The same shop selling the new also sells the original ones, but seeing as they're both at the same price I thought I'd ask, especially because the included 940m is overclockable [emoji16]

That should work. Gives you more headroom, although if it's some Chinese knockoff, those advertised specs might be optimistic on a very good day. Laptop will only draw as much as it needs from the charger.
Make sure polarity of the output plug matches(stuff that goes inside the laptop).

Knobber, if the plug is only + and -, laptop won't know if it's oem or not.

Knobber, if the plug is only + and -, laptop won't know if it's oem or not.
That's easy enough to test with a DMM. If barell type plug, I think the inside is - and the outside is +, but am not sure. Just touch a probe down the middle of the barrel and lay the other on the outside to check voltages and polarity. Just in case anyone isn't clear on the procedure, it is easily searchable in your fav search engine

Yeah you're fine with more amps. You would NOT be fine with more volts however. My little XPS 13 frequently goes from a 45w charger to a 95w to a 180w. One thing you may be concerned about however is the dimensions of the adapter itself, it could be bigger (much if it's just a cheap one) which can make it more difficult to travel with. Also barrel connectors aren't just simple plus/minus when it comes to some manufacturers (Dell), but HP should be fine with a non-OEM adapter.

Thank you for the answers, came in the mail today and seems to be working fine. System feels smoother actually, I wonder if powerdraw was right on the edge on the old charger when stressed. And as was said above, charge time went from ~2h to ~1h20m, so now hopefully it lasts [emoji1]

Back