• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about dial up internet sharing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I am about to network my two PC's together via a crossover cable. One machine has dial up internet access, the other doesn't. I intended to network them so I could share files and play lan games. Well, I was wondering if I could use the primary machines dial up internet connection on the other PC? I wouldn't be using the internet both at the same time b/c that would be rediculously slow. But could I use the internet on the machine without the connection if I have them networked?

If so, how would I do it?

btw, both are running win XP.

I'm pretty sure you can do this. When you are connected to the internet on your primary computer, right-click My Network Places then goto Properties. Click Set up a home or small office network. Click next twice, choose the first option, click next, click your internet connection. That should work.

XP has built in ICS(Internet Connection Sharing). There is even a wizard(don't normally recommend using them, but for your aplication it will work nicely. A couple of heads up. Firewall can be a problem, IP addresses can be a problem, Windows can be a problem(ha ha).

Establish a network connection between the two machines. On the primary machine(the with the modem), setup ICS(in in the Network setting). That's about it...

Back