• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about P4 2.6 FSB400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcl_gouki

Hi overclockers.

I have a little question about FSB overclocking. I'm buying a new computer in a few days, adn my intention is to get a Northwood C1 P4 with 400Mhz FSB in order to overclock it to 533Mhz FSB (not more extreme overclocking for now).

I've spotted a 2.4Ghz and a 2.6Ghz at my usual vendor, both are Northwood C1 400Mhz FSB. In theory, with the 2.6Ghz I would be able to get 26x133=3458MHz with 533Mhz FSB, and this would be achieved without extreme overclocking, as you can see. However, I've been told that you just can't do this, as the 2.6 doesn't allow this FSB configuration without heating too much or malfunctioning; hence, I've been advice to buy the 2.4Ghz P4 so that I can get "only" 24x133=3192 safely, without the need for powerful cooling.

Any advice about this?

Thank you very much.

The chances of a 2.6 reaching 133 FSB is not good. Unless you get a C1 stepping 2.4, it's going to be tough to hit 133 FSB with that too. There is no such thing as a guaranteed overclock. I'm not sure what you mean by a "safe" overclock. Maybe by having PCI/AGP/memory buses running in spec? What motherboard do you have? Several of the better mobos allow you to fix the PCI/AGP bus.

Thanks for the info.

My intention is to buy an i845PE mobo (ABIT, for the time being) with a Northwood C1 P4, with 400MHz FSB. What I would like to do is to achieve the best speed by only changing the FSB from 100 to 133 MHz, without changing the Vcore at all. That's what I call "safe overclocking", as I've read that increasing the Vcore could lead the P4 to suffer from the "Northwood Sudden Death Syndrome", as explained in another thread. I really wouldn't like to buy a new processor after a couple of months, but I also don't want to spend my whole salary in a 2.8 533 FSB or something like that

I've been considering the 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 flavours of the P4 400 FSB, C1 stepping.

Which one would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance

rcl_gouki said:
Thanks for the info.

My intention is to buy an i845PE mobo (ABIT, for the time being) with a Northwood C1 P4, with 400MHz FSB. What I would like to do is to achieve the best speed by only changing the FSB from 100 to 133 MHz, without changing the Vcore at all. That's what I call "safe overclocking", as I've read that increasing the Vcore could lead the P4 to suffer from the "Northwood Sudden Death Syndrome", as explained in another thread. I really wouldn't like to buy a new processor after a couple of months, but I also don't want to spend my whole salary in a 2.8 533 FSB or something like that

I've been considering the 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 flavours of the P4 400 FSB, C1 stepping.

Which one would be the best choice?

Thanks in advance

Even with the 2.4 133Mhz FSB means almost 3200Mhz... or a 800Mhz overclock. Not much chance you'll get there with stock voltage.

your best bet would be a C1 Stepping 2.2A. All PE chipset boards lock PCI/AGP speeds so if ya have to go to 140 FSB all your PCI devices and vid card will still run within spec. This chip will probably be the one to get once C1 stepping chips flood the retail channels

Back