• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Volcano 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzy

I think something is wrong because im getting 49 C on idle and about 52 on load. My other friends say they got much lower.. practically in the 30's. I waited 72 hours for the as to do its thing but nothing... So I'm ready to just take it out and redo it because I had trouble the first time. I was just wondering if its worth it to open up and redo it cause im lazy or is something wrong with my temp sensor or is the temps not even that bad at all. Thx~

1. your motherboard doesnt support the reading of an on-die temp sensor, so it is showing up to a 10C+ change (your cpu is actually running at 39c, and loading at 42)...the insocket thermistor isnt very accurate on most boards.

2. heatsink is mounted wrong...take it off, and see if you can see the entire die imprint on the heatsink...and where the die imprint is...there should be BARELY any AS in that small box

3. too much/too little artic silver. take heatsink off, and go to
http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm to show exactly how to put the stuff on

What is the airflow like in your case? Any extra fans in the front and back?

More important, Is your system stable? No Lockups?

If it seems to be running ok then I would not worry about the temps too much. Everybodys temp readings can vary due to different conditions, ambient temp, hardware etc.

Al

well as of right now i have 1 fan in the back blowing air out, and two on the sides blowing out and i need to go buy one for the front to blow in but im still a noob at cooling and don't know how to blow in :)

But no lock ups or anything.. win2k runs fine but I'm planning to overclock my chip so I wanna make sure everything is nice and cool.

Fuzzy said:
well as of right now i have 1 fan in the back blowing air out, and two on the sides blowing out and i need to go buy one for the front to blow in but im still a noob at cooling and don't know how to blow in :)

But no lock ups or anything.. win2k runs fine but I'm planning to overclock my chip so I wanna make sure everything is nice and cool.

There should be two raised arrows imbedded in the side of the fan, you have to look close. One is the spin direction and the other indicates the direction of airflow. Just install it so the airflow arrow is pointing to the inside of the case....Easy:)

If your computer is stable, then dont worry too much about the temps. Just keep an eye on it, especially if you overclock on air!!

Have fun
Al

I have a volcan 9 too and my temp are 48 load when running @ 3500rpm. That's with a warm room too. Try switching the side fans to blow in. It seems like you dont have enough air comming into the case.

later.

omg worst night ever. Im trying to unhook it and i drop the friggen screw driver!@%!^%!^ on the mobo scratches everywere. Dude I R SO ****ED! I know no other way to unhook it anyways... at the highest fan level my temps were that high.. as i wait for my new mobo to be delivered I must use my other sucky computer.. oh well maybe if i go to bed i will feel better in the morning.

Back