• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 Fury X fan stuck at 15%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Decided to upgrade my GPU to an XFX R9 Fury X. Regardless of what I'm running, whether F@H or games, the fan never goes above 15%, so it constantly overheats and gives me black screens in the middle of trying to make use of the screen :bang head Short of physically replacing the fan with one connected to a manual controller, is there any way to force it to actually change the fan speed when it is supposed to? I recall reading something about some other vendor updating the BIOS on their cards (don't remember whether it was the reference liquid coolers or one of the triple-fan ones), but I can't find that anymore.

Are you using AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition latest release ( 15.11.1)? There were issues with prior versions that effected the fan speed.

Manual fan curve in MSI Afterburner makes it work - no more black screens! Also cool to be able to watch the temp and fan speed on my phone while I'm running a game. Yes, I've been using Crimson 15.11.1 for weeks. Its automatic update and version detection is apparently broken, though. It says there are no updates, yet AMD clearly lists 15.12 on their site...

Well, my suggestion as a temp fix, I would use MSI Afterburner from startup and set the custom fan curve to run at startup :)

So I tried to update to 15.12 driver. It crashes and leaves me with the monitor claiming "no input". Rebooted and tried their driver cleaner tool. It did the same thing - hung the system and turned off my screen. Tried the driver cleaner in safe mode. That time it just hung the system, but didn't turn off the screen. It did successfully trash the atixblah.dll file for Windows, though, so now I get a nice error on every reboot and Afterburner can't do anything with the fan anymore since the driver is screwed. :bang head Trying to manually install the 15.12 driver via control panel and selecting the extracted directory that the AMD installer leaves also causes a hang and turns off the screen. The 15.11 installer is broken now, too. WTF have you done, AMD?!

So I tried to update to 15.12 driver. It crashes and leaves me with the monitor claiming "no input". Rebooted and tried their driver cleaner tool. It did the same thing - hung the system and turned off my screen. Tried the driver cleaner in safe mode. That time it just hung the system, but didn't turn off the screen. It did successfully trash the atixblah.dll file for Windows, though, so now I get a nice error on every reboot and Afterburner can't do anything with the fan anymore since the driver is screwed. :bang head Trying to manually install the 15.12 driver via control panel and selecting the extracted directory that the AMD installer leaves also causes a hang and turns off the screen. The 15.11 installer is broken now, too. WTF have you done, AMD?!

Use DDU to uninstall the drivers, http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ If you are having issues revert back to an older driver.

I recall hearing something about the Crimson drivers and locking the fan, but that that was only on some 380x models. I recall their being a hot fix for this on the AMD website???

Sorry I am so vague and unsure, LOL!

Last edited:
DDU also hung and froze in safe mode and showed a crap ton of errors, but at least it seemed to work. 15.12 installed successfully. Still, WTF with those driver installers, AMD? That's just sad...

I was having the opposite problem, as soon as Windows loaded the fans would go up too 100%. I used afterburner for like a week, just to reset to defaults at startup, but then I just went back to whatever the latest driver was before crimson and that worked fine since.

Back