• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 10 or Raid 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bonhamsurf

Tired of older drives failing and so now I'm going to upgrade my storage. I'm thinking about Raid 10 but wanted to get some other people's experience and suggestions before I choose Raid 10 over Raid 5.

Current Setup:
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Athlon Thubian Black 1090T 6-core, lightly overclocked to 3.7
16gb DDR 3 1866 GSkill Ripjaws
OS Windows 7 x64 on a Intel x510 120db SSD through ACHI
Sapphire Radeon 6870 Videocard

I currently have 2 more drives on IDE (both are WD cavair blacks with 3gbs capabilities), a 1tb and a 600gb that I use for my storage/libraries/etc. But, they're old and starting to have issues, and I'm in the web design/graphic design world. So I decided to go ahead and setup new storage drives to replace these. So I purchased 4 of the new Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drives and am going to install as RAID.

RAID 10 is what I'm leaning towards, but Raid5 is also attractive. It seems the world is split on them, and one of the "Gods" of the computer world wrote this article...

http://miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

If you are using them for pure storage and you don't need them to be extremely fast, RAID 5. If you are going to be doing a ton of writing to the array, RAID 10. I wouldn't use RAID 6 for that few drives since RAID 10 has the same disk space overhead for redundancy.

Back