• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Razer Wants to Mine Crypto on Your PC in Return for Loyalty Rewards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.techpowerup.com/250588/...ypto-on-your-pc-in-return-for-loyalty-rewards

"Today, the company introduced Razer Softminer, a mining software program that is intended to be installed on computers and run to mine cryptocurrency. But instead of the users getting whatever new cryptocurrency is in fashion, Razer instead wants to retain all mined crypto and in turn "award" users with the so-called Razer Silver- loyalty reward credits, in their own words."

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64145/razer-use-pc-mine-cryptocurrency/index.html

https://www.razer.com/softminer

So... yeah... not sure how to react to this one...

(~40 days of continuous mining for games that can be bought for $10-15 without discounts)

Hrrmmm...Ok, quick & dirty math time with made up numbers.

Just grabbed my nearest electrical bill, a little out of date but it says I'm paying roughly 2.7 cents per KWH. So lets say I'm running this on a GPU that pulls 150w. With a PSU at oh 85% effeciency, nice round number, that's about 175w from the wall. .175*24*40 is...168KWH. That at 2.7 cents is $4.54, and that's assuming I'd be leaving my PC up and running 24/7 either way. So I've got to wait almost a month and a half to get half off a $10 game. *Maybe* if you're a college student living in a dorm or a kid living with parents that don't know any better?

a little out of date but it says I'm paying roughly 2.7 cents per KWH.

Where do you live as I want to move there! Seriously, that sounds too cheap to me. My rate just increased to USD0.19 per kWh. Before that it was 15c per kWh... during the height of mining it was profitable even at that level, but today, no chance.

I think the only way to profit now is to get someone else to mine it, which sounds like what Razer are trying...

Where do you live as I want to move there! Seriously, that sounds too cheap to me. My rate just increased to USD0.19 per kWh. Before that it was 15c per kWh... during the height of mining it was profitable even at that level, but today, no chance.

I think the only way to profit now is to get someone else to mine it, which sounds like what Razer are trying...

Oops, you're right, reading the wrong line, I'll go find the nearest bridge to jump off of:chair:

Mine ranges from 11+ to 13+ cents per. We're above the national average. Just another glowing recommendation for almost any other place to live in America.

Average in UK is 0.012-0.013 so yay i guess ?

Are you in UK? Tried to renew recently? Couldn't find anything like that any more. 15p/unit was best I can find. Well, technically there are lower unit rate ones, but they pad it out with a huge fixed fee too. Even at the amount of power I guzzle, it wouldn't balance out.

Are you in UK? Tried to renew recently? Couldn't find anything like that any more. 15p/unit was best I can find.

Live near Bristol, last time i switched was ~2y ago from E-ON to Economy Energy. We get sales peoples around here every ~6 months or so comparing (hopefully correct) prices so we keep +- current.

Live near Bristol, last time i switched was ~2y ago from E-ON to Economy Energy. We get sales peoples around here every ~6 months or so comparing (hopefully correct) prices so we keep +- current.

Practically down the road from me. I'm in Swindon area. I had to switch earlier this month as my old rate of 12p/unit was going up to 18p/unit if I didn't. Best I could find was 15p/unit excluding those with fat standing charges.

The real way is to use something other than a desktop CPU or GPU to mine with. I mine Swagbucks with an old tablet (plus a Raspberry Pi to manage it), getting about $17/month at current difficulty while using 7W or so. On top of that, I run it from solar power.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, swagbucks isn't a cryptocurrency you mine? If it involves any human interaction at all, you have to trade off your time.

Here's some source code, although it seems to be mostly for the developers:
https://github.com/pinkmagicdev/SwagBucks

In my setup, the Raspberry Pi takes care of supervising the miner, so I rarely have to do anything after writing the program. All in all, I spent only a few hours in total of time working on the program while making over $1400 over the 3 years or so I have been mining that coin.

Back