• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote desktop software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous51

Registered
Hey guys I am wondering what software do you use if you connect remotely to your computer? In windows or linux? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Gabe,

Teamviewer 14 doesn't support anything older than Win 7 just FYI. Teamviewer 12 will support older Windows OS's but you need their license to do that.

Anydesk worked great for me but I was on the same lan with win 7 both.

Thanks for your help, you mentioned in an earlier post that I wrote that you will never install win 10 I am wondering what operating system will you use when windows 7 isn’t supported next year? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.:)

Leaning towards MX linux with xfce desktop for my actual hardware desktop win7 pro replacement. By next year I'll be neck deep in containers and virtual machines so if I want to try a new os, or keep an existing installation running it will be a snap. Even if they stop updating win7 it should still be able to chug along for quite some time until it eventually becomes a thing of the past as is windows '98. MS's decision to be more like google/apple will be there undoing in the home computing market, imo. Gamers excluded. Too easy. If I ever figure out how to gut the bs from it and make it behave before even the install I may play with it just for kicks and giggles.
The lure of a system wide update requiring nothing more than a connection - for free and in any flavor and color I like, as well as no longer having to keep track of all the necessary softwares one runs, drivers, compatibility, ad nauseum, is simply too strong to want to continue to play the carrot on a stick, wtf is the problem now game.
Simpler really is better I think when it comes to personal computing. Smartphones are already too complicated and more importantly too insecure to be trusted with "all your data'. As much as I'd love to spend $2g's building the latest and greatest ryzen and then seeing how it behaves with ms's google alternative (win10), I'd rather make my life simpler and easier and just start running vm's preferably in a thin client environment.
Learn what makes you tick and don't be a follower. It is the individual that makes anything great. What companies like ms do IS follow. Now they are chasing the skirts of google and linux trying to fit in with the cool crowd. Pathetic really.

Last edited:
Hey guys I am wondering what software do you use if you connect remotely to your computer? In windows or linux? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Don't do remote desktop'ing so much anymore, but used to use one of the VNCs(TightVNC, TigerVNC, etc).

Leaning towards MX linux with xfce desktop for my actual hardware desktop win7 pro replacement. By next year I'll be neck deep in containers and virtual machines so if I want to try a new os, or keep an existing installation running it will be a snap. Even if they stop updating win7 it should still be able to chug along for quite some time until it eventually becomes a thing of the past as is windows '98. MS's decision to be more like google/apple will be there undoing in the home computing market, imo. Gamers excluded. Too easy. If I ever figure out how to gut the bs from it and make it behave before even the install I may play with it just for kicks and giggles.
The lure of a system wide update requiring nothing more than a connection - for free and in any flavor and color I like, as well as no longer having to keep track of all the necessary softwares one runs, drivers, compatibility, ad nauseum, is simply too strong to want to continue to play the carrot on a stick, wtf is the problem now game.
Simpler really is better I think when it comes to personal computing. Smartphones are already too complicated and more importantly too insecure to be trusted with "all your data'. As much as I'd love to spend $2g's building the latest and greatest ryzen and then seeing how it behaves with ms's google alternative (win10), I'd rather make my life simpler and easier and just start running vm's preferably in a thin client environment.
Learn what makes you tick and don't be a follower. It is the individual that makes anything great. What companies like ms do IS follow. Now they are chasing the skirts of google and linux trying to fit in with the cool crowd. Pathetic really.

Thnks agaun for your help.:)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Don't do remote desktop'ing so much anymore, but used to use one of the VNCs(TightVNC, TigerVNC, etc).

Thanks for your help.

If you want a remote desktop software then I would advise you to go with a remote desktop that performs as good as an original desktop.
Use Microsoft Remote Desktop.
These are the features of Microsoft RDP I got from the official doc of Microsoft.
Microsoft RDP includes the following features and capabilities:

Encryption

RDP uses RSA Security's RC4 cipher, a stream cipher designed to efficiently encrypt small amounts of data. RC4 is designed for secure communications over networks. Administrators can choose to encrypt data by using a 56- or 128-bit key.

Bandwidth reduction features

RDP supports various mechanisms to reduce the amount of data transmitted over a network connection. Mechanisms include data compression, persistent caching of bitmaps, and caching of glyphs and fragments in RAM. The persistent bitmap cache can provide a substantial improvement in performance over low-bandwidth connections, especially when running applications that make extensive use of large bitmaps.

Roaming disconnect

A user can manually disconnect from a remote desktop session without logging off. The user is automatically reconnected to their disconnected session when he or she logs back onto the system, either from the same device or a different device. When a user's session is unexpectedly terminated by a network or client failure, the user is disconnected but not logged off.

Clipboard mapping

Users can delete, copy, and paste text and graphics between applications running on the local computer and those running in a remote desktop session, and between sessions.

Print redirection

Applications running within a remote desktop session can print to a printer attached to the client device.

Virtual channels

By using RDP virtual channel architecture, existing applications can be augmented and new applications can be developed to add features that require communications between the client device and an application running in a remote desktop session.

Remote control

Computer support staff can view and control a remote desktop session. Sharing input and display graphics between two remote desktop sessions gives a support person the ability to diagnose and resolve problems remotely.

Network load balancing

RDP takes advantage of network load balancing (NLB), where available.

I hope this helps!
Regards.

Funny how everyone has an internet connection, a smartphone, a pc, and people to talk to, but at every attempt to be "connected", they want us to use an ap 3rd party middleman server. LMFAO. Why is that? Because most of, if not all, the standard 'connect to me', 'social', send granny some pics, softwares are not private or secure. I absolutely REFUSE to use anything that is not both. Too bad people have accepted having all their basic communications intercepted and recorded. This is imo the reason for all of the insecurities in our digital world. The foundation of all our communications is all by itself completely UNsecure. F facebook and google, ms incl..

Funny how everyone has an internet connection, a smartphone, a pc, and people to talk to, but at every attempt to be "connected", they want us to use an ap 3rd party middleman server. LMFAO. Why is that? Because most of, if not all, the standard 'connect to me', 'social', send granny some pics, softwares are not private or secure. I absolutely REFUSE to use anything that is not both. Too bad people have accepted having all their basic communications intercepted and recorded. This is imo the reason for all of the insecurities in our digital world. The foundation of all our communications is all by itself completely UNsecure. F facebook and google, ms incl..
lol....

How would you connect to several people at once on a smartphone or pc without third party software????

Too bad people have accepted having all their basic communications intercepted and recorded. This is imo the reason for all of the insecurities in our digital world. The foundation of all our communications is all by itself completely UNsecure. F facebook and google, ms incl..

Agreed, but the unsecure nature of digital world is a reality that can't ever be rolled back. People have now been conditioned to not care about privacy, not realizing that privacy is an important component to security.

Back