• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resolved: Won't boot, hard crash-watercooled (was: heeelp ,me plzzzz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Plug un a CPU fan into the CPU1 plug and let it hang out of your case. Then try booting. Most mobo's have a CPU fan failsafe- if the CPU fan RPM's read at below a certain speed (or at 0RPM if not plugged in at all), the motherboard will run for a few seconds and then auto-shut off.

If all else fails, take out the mobo and visually inspect every inch of the mobo for corrosion or busted capacitors. If you have either of the two, it will most likely be the culpret. This was my main problem when I got my first watercooling setup installed. A cap busted (which may or may not have been related to my hose leaking water all over the mobo and video card WHILE ON!!!

Anyway- cap replacement guides can be found on the main overclockers.com site.

Good luck to fixing this emergancy of yours.

Are you using chilled watercooling? Becuase if your water is below the case temp, or I should say the dew point, then you will get condensation on the lines (if you do not have insulation) and that leads to dripping, and that leads to bad stuff happening. Another theory is that it could be that you got an electrically conductive fluid such as Arctic Silver on one of the components? I did that with my motherboard, with mine it happened to be the part of the motherboard that led to my PCI bus, yours could be the AGP. Check to see if the gold contacts on the AGP card are smudged or if anything looks unusual with the AGP slot.

Good Luck!!
-0cer

PS, my old mobo would start beeping and just lock up when the CPU fan was too low. It would try to turn off but something happened and it would just lock up, so that could also be the case, so try plugging in a fan to CPUFAN or FAN1 ;)

repilce said:
:eek: dude.. you've got this topic in 3! different areas that i've seen so far.. what's up with the multiposting?

I did see it somewhere else and suggested he post it in the emergency section, so that could account for two of them. I'm a little to blame for that. This being the third, but hey I think the poor guy is justifiably freaked. Hopefully as the 911 section gains notariety, people will know to head straight there with problems of this magnitude.

repilce said:
i agree.. hehe.. the first i saw was in the 911 section though.. i guess he started in WC'n and made his way there. ;)

:D Hehe, You saw it in WC? I think I found it in the mobo section. So that's four, we should start a tracking service for this thread to track down all its locations, lol.

ok thanx for all your help guys but this prob jst gets wierder.......i booted up this morniong and everything was working ok...and seemed fine....i plugged in all devices and monitered it in bios...al seemed fine ...then when i cam back bios had crashed and when i tried reboot i get the same problem....surely this mst indicate sumthing? (btw tried reseating componants looking for marks on cpu and motherboard and also clearing cmos)

graftonater said:
ok thanx for all your help guys but this prob jst gets wierder.......i booted up this morniong and everything was working ok...and seemed fine....i plugged in all devices and monitered it in bios...al seemed fine ...then when i cam back bios had crashed and when i tried reboot i get the same problem....surely this mst indicate sumthing? (btw tried reseating componants looking for marks on cpu and motherboard and also clearing cmos)

Read my sticky in this section, try doing my 3 step thingy I said in there. See if it can run with just the essentials and then one by one put stuff back in ;)

When i first did water cooling i had a little leak in that dropped right down into my Apg slot and i didnt realize what it was whappening until my comp started freaking out. My board was asus a7v266- e and it was basically doing the same thing ur saying urs is doing it was just freaking out on me. Basically what i ened up doing was taking out board setting it on table and taking a q-tip to the apg slot and let it sit for 2 days then it worked fine i got lucky i suppose but maybe soemthing like that happened to you?

why dont u use stock HSF and stock GPU cooling and boot it up and take out all of the water cooling items. Also check your voltages , ur cpu might not be getting enough, happened to me

Well, by taking out all of the watercooling items probably will not help anything, because unlike a videocard, if it doesn't work right, your system will still run unless it is dripping or causing it to greatly overheat. So I would check for leakes, and this is another possibility, is there too much force on your waterblock? If you tightened it too much and it is an unlidded processor, the core could have been damaged.

I know that this couldnt be an overheating prob, i have a abit nf7-s with the same WCing setup and i had to do some matinence and HAD to turn the comp. on without the water in the block and It lasted the 10 mins until i shut it down my self. I dont suggest doing it but I guess it goes to show that the block can keep the cpu cooled enough just by itself.

A shot in the dark but did you use the white paste that came with the kit or some AS3? My only guess it that you spilled some water somehow. Try just taking everything out and letting it sit on the table for a couple of days. I know that sounds dumb but most electronics "dry out" if you let them sit out.

Sounds like your overheating to me are you sure your HS is seated properly and your watercooling is working right. This sounds like a similar problem I has with an old PIII system I had and forgot to plug the fan in. It ran good for about 5 min then overheated and froze I had to let it cool down before it would start up again then I remembered the fan.

thanx for all your help but in the end i solved it.....it ended up to be a tiny waterleak that was causing the activation of a cut out relay switch in the motherboard, why it workerd again after a couple of hours, howevere now after re doing all of the waterworks and cleaning MB its fine thanx a lot for all your suggestions tho :)

Back